Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Forgive My Fins (Fins #1) by Tera Lynn Childs: review

Goodreads rating: 3.93
Hardcover, 293 pages
Published May 19th 2010 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2010)
Series: Fins #1
Setting: Seaview (United States); Thalassinia (under the sea)

Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it’s not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you’re a normal teenage girl, but when you’re half human, half mermaid like Lily, there’s no such thing as a simple crush.

Lily’s mermaid identity is a secret that can’t get out, since she’s not just any mermaid – she’s a Thalassinian princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a human, she finally realized why she didn’t feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she’s been living on land and going to Seaview high school ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems – like her obnoxious, biker boy neighbor Quince Fletcher – but it has that one major perk – Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren’t really the casual dating type – when they “bond,” it’s for life.

When Lily’s attempt to win Brody’s love leads to a tsunami-sized case of mistaken identity, she is in for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out, quick as a tailfin flick, that happily-ever-after never sails quite as smoothly as you planned.

4/5

Oh, for the love of fluff! That was my first thought after finishing this book, besides the epilogue which was a heck of a lot darker than the whole book combined. But I actually found myself enjoying it. I was starting to decide that I didn’t like mermaid books, and with the reviews for this one, I wasn’t sure I would continue to try and read them. But I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It was Childs’ writing that really sucked me in. It was exciting and bubbly, and there was even mermaid slang! Fluff aside, this is one of my favorite mermaid books.

It was all about the romance. I mean, literally, that’s what every plot detail revolves around. But, amazingly, I wasn’t totally sickened by it. You knew what was going to happen with Quince, and what wasn’t going to happen with Brody, from the beginning. But it was interesting getting there. I know I’ve had crushes before where literally no one else existed, and the thought of someone else liking you is absurd because the person you have this huge crush on doesn’t like you that way. So of course there must be something wrong with you. This book really cut true to me.

Even with the fluff, this book had depth (depth, ocean, mermaid book… HA!). I could really relate with the characters, and the romance was believable. That whole mermaid-bond-for-life thing plays a very important role in the romance, especially since all a boy has to do is kiss Lily for it to happen. You can guess what happens with that. I think the other element that made it real for me is that I could believe that there are mermaids below our ocean depths. The cute mermaid slang was a big part of that, and how the mer people remain undetected because their home looks simply like a reef to a human. I haven’t read many mermaid books, but these things seem important to build such a complicated world.

I’m truly surprised by how much I enjoyed this one. Like I said, mermaid books really aren’t my thing, but I’m definitely going to the read the other two in the series, and give other books like it a try. If you’re looking for a reprieve from all the other heavy paranormal romance, pick this one up.

1 comment:

  1. I may fantasize about falling in love with a vampire or werewolf, but I dream about being a mermaid. A mermaid princess would be even better, and Lily Sanderson gets to be both.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.