Sunday, February 26, 2012

Everneath (Everneath #1) by Brodi Ashton: review

Goodreads rating: 4.00
Hardcover, 370 pages
Published January 24th 2012 by Harper Collins / Balzer + Bray
Series: Everneath #1

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...

4.5/5

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. It’s gotten a lot of mixed reviews and so I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. I’ve always loved mythology, and even though Greek myths are sort of overdone (especially the Hades and Persephone myth), Everneath had a very unique and creative twist to it. Think about it: 6 months in the human world is 100 years in the Everneath. Already, I’m hooked.

This book had a lot to do with the romance. The only thing that helps Nikki hold onto her old life is remembering Jack’s name. Jack was Nikki’s boyfriend before something happened and she found herself in Everneath with Cole, who apparently is Hades. Except that he doesn’t rule the underworld; a queen does, and he’s trying to overthrow her. And somehow Becks (Nikki) fits snuggly into this situation. Cole has been looking for someone for so long that can survive the feeding intact, so he’s not about to let her go.

Let’s start by saying I did not like Cole. He was mean, sadistic, a bigot, and just a generally bad person. He may have had his moments where it was obvious he cared about Nikki, but he’s a selfish creature by nature and when it comes to anything besides Nikki, he’s not very compassionate. Jack, on the other hand, was amazing. I had read some reviews where people mentioned not liking either of the boys, and I was thinking that doesn’t seem right. Well, I love Jack. He’s patient with Nikki, who’s getting re-acclimated to the human world again (a world where people think she got addicted to hard-core drugs and that she went away for rehab). They didn’t exactly part on good terms, and so this is, yes a paranormal romance, but also a story of redemption and forgiveness.

I was pleasantly surprised by Everneath. It ended a bit suddenly, but I can’t wait to see where this series goes. And the cover is absolutely gorgeous! Even more beautiful in person. The people at Harper Collins know what they’re doing. If you’re really into mythology, this should be on your list. While the mythology isn’t blatant (like, Percy-Jackson blatant), it’s a beautiful and romantic twist to the Hades-Persephone myth. So utterly different, but it works. Definitely pick this one up.

5 comments:

  1. I wanted to order this book recently :). I heard really good things about it and your review is great !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review! I've been wanting to read this for awhile now and after reading your review it made me want to read it even more:) I so need to get this book.:P And the cover is simply amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this wonderful review! Everneath is on my up-next book list and I can't wait to curl up and read it. I will be looking out for Cole and hopefully rooting for Jack!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.