Monday, February 13, 2012

Dreaming Awake (Falling Under #2) by Gwen Hayes: review

Goodreads rating: 4.04
Mass Market Paperbound, 336 pages
Published January 3rd 2012 by NAL Trade
She fell for him in a nighttime world. But the time for dreaming is past—and the here-and-now can be just as fragile their love…

When Theia Alderson first encountered a mysterious, handsome boy in her dreams, she never imagined how finding Haden Black—and falling in love—could change her life. To save Haden, Theia sacrificed everything. And the dangerous bargain she made could have lasting repercussions.

Now Theia has returned to Serendipity Falls, and she finds herself struggling with the same deadly hungers that have tortured Haden. When students at their high school fall prey to a mysterious illness, Theia can’t help but wonder if Haden’s control is slipping—and how much longer she’ll have a grip on her own.

And still the nightmare realm of Under won’t let them go. Someone from Haden’s past is determined to destroy Theia from the inside out, starting with those closest to her, forcing Theia to choose between family and friends and a love that may have been doomed from the start…


4.5/5
 
I have always loved this series, but I don’t feel like many people have read it. At its core, it’s the myth of Hades and Persephone (Persephone is debatable, but yeah). But it’s so much more than that. Haden isn’t exactly ruler of the underworld; his sadistic mother is and she has it out for Theia, our heroine. And Theia sacrificed a lot in Falling Under so that Haden could remain part human. And now it’s coming back with a vengeance. She gets these hungers, and now that she’s part demon, it means that she’s hungry for someone’s life force; their soul.

I really enjoyed this one. Theia and Haden’s relationship was so strained (sexually and otherwise) after they came back from Under, and while Theia seemed to make a couple stupid and questionable decisions, I knew it was because she loved Haden and felt that he deserved better than the monster she thought she’d become. The separate point of views in the last third of the book was very enlightening. The other characters definitely developed more, and I finally felt like I got to know Theia’s best friends better. And Mike or Matt (some M name) was a huge surprise. I knew there was something up with him, but I didn’t know it’d be that.

As I was nearing the end of this novel, I started panicking. Half because of how exciting and heart wrenching it was getting, but also because I could see the author wrapping it up as if there wasn’t a sequel. Apparently, this is the final book in the series. I might be a little selfish here, but there were certain things I wanted to see come to fruition, and the book ends literally right before that happens. SO FRUSTRATING!! But, despite that, I still loved this book. I’m hoping that the author will reconsider and write another book in the series, because I love Theia and Haden, and the world of Under.

If you’ve read the first in the series, definitely pick this one up. I enjoyed every second of it, and the only reason I put it down was because I either needed to for school or to eat, or it was stressing me out too much to continue without a break. Overall, a very good read and a mostly satisfying end to a lovely series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.