Monday, February 27, 2012

Cover/Synopsis Poison: Glass Heart, Ten, The Crown of Embers & Before I Wake

So many covers are being unveiled lately it's hard to keep up. By the time I put two or three of them in a published post, another pops up! Anywho, that's beside the point. First up is the cover for a sequel that I didn't even know existed.


EXPECTED PUBLICATION: October 2012


(NO SYNOPSIS AT THIS TIME)

My thoughts: While I didn't enjoy Cold Kiss as much as I thought I would, I can't deny that these covers are gorgeous. I did think it ended a bit abruptly so it's good to know that that wasn't the end. I'll probably read this one. Speaking of Cold Kiss, here's that cover.


Then is the next book by Gretchen McNeil (author of Possess):


PUBLICATION DATE: September 18th

And their doom comes swiftly.
It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives – an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school's most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.

But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message:
Vengeance is mine.

Suddenly people are dying, and with a storm raging, the teens are cut off the from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn't scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?

My thoughts: I'm not really that into this cover. The cover for Possess was beautiful and creepy and awesome! This actually looks more like an adult book than a YA book. The premise looks awesome though, and Gretchen is great at writing creepy.

 Next, the cover for the sequel to the amazing The Girl of Fire and Thorns:


Elisa is the hero of her country. She led her people to victory against a terrifying enemy, and now she is their queen. But she is only seventeen years old. Her rivals may have simply retreated, choosing stealth over battle. And no one within her court trusts her-except Hector, the commander of the royal guard, and her companions. As the country begins to crumble beneath her and her enemies emerge from the shadows, Elisa will take another journey. With a one-eyed warrior, a loyal friend, an enemy defector, and the man she is falling in love with, Elisa crosses the ocean in search of the perilous, uncharted, and mythical source of the Godstone’s power. That is not all she finds.

A breathtaking, romantic, and dangerous second volume in the Fire and Thorns trilogy.


My thoughts: I absolutely fell in love with the first book. But I actually really liked the original cover for the book, like this:


But in any case, they changed the covers and so now the second one fits really well with the first one. I hope Crown of Embers won't be nearly as heartbreaking as the first book. Here's the cover for that wonderful first book (definitely pick it up if you haven't already!!):



And finally is a different kind of reveal. There's a good reason why Rachel Vincent hasn't posted the synopsis for the next Soul Screamer's novel, Before I Wake. It must have been difficult to find the right words so that it wasn't totally spoilery. Here's what Rachel Vincent told us on her website:

Well. The internet beat me (and my publisher) to the punch. Again. These things happen. Repeatedly, apparently. So there’s no reason not to show you the (super spoilery) Before I Wake plot synopsis now:
[MAJOR SPOILER ALERT: If you haven't read If I Die, please do not read the blurb below. Reading spoilers out of context is NOT the same as reading the book itself, and you truly can't tell whether or not you're going to like a book just by reading spoilers.]

June 26, 2012
I died on a Thursday—killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul.
The good news? He didn’t get it.
The bad news?
Turns out not even death will get you out of high school…
Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much
harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent
“recovering,” she’s back in school, fighting to stay visible to the
human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning
time alone with her new reaper boyfriend.
But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim
stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face
with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal
status won’t keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn’t just gambling
with her own life….

On a personal note, let me say that Before I Wake is a book about consequences. There are lots of consequences in the Soul Screamers world, and they’re all permanent. Sometimes you may think that Kaylee’s catching a break, like what happened at the end of If I Die, but in the Netherworld, no good deed goes unpunished. Afterlives must be earned. Kaylee and her friends and family have been inevitably, irrevocably changed by what happened in If I Die.
If you haven’t already figured it out, My Soul To Take’s theme was vanity. My Soul To Save was greed, My Soul To Keep was gluttony (addiction), My Soul To Steal was envy, and If I Die was lust.
Before I Wake is the sloth-themed book. I’ve interpreted sloth as depression, but the book is really about fighting depression—almost literally in Kaylee’s case. It’s a book about change. About learning to live in your new reality. About accepting what you’ve lost and embracing what you’ve gained. Aside from that, the book is also kiss-heavy, and the most action- and trauma-filled Soul Screamers book to date.
If you’re familiar with (at least one interpretation of) the seven deadly sins, you’ll know what that leaves for the seventh and final book, and after you’ve read Before I Wake, you’ll understand why I left rage for last.
Oh, and one more thing. At least one major character will die in Before I Wake.
Make of that what you will… ;) 

My thoughts: There's just so much in this one post, I can't even comprehend!! I didn't quite like the ending to If I Die (I totally understood Kaylee's choices, but I didn't like it one bit!), and to say that this is going to hurt my heart even more than If I Die... A heart can only take so much Rachel! Cannot wait for this to come out.

What do you guys think of the covers and synopsis? Love them? Hate them? Let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. I love the covers for Cold Kiss and Glass Heart. I haven't read Cold Kiss yet but I plan to when I get the time.
    I have to agree with you I too liked the original cover for The Girl of Fire and Thorns better.
    I can not wait for Before I Wake but if a character I really like dies I'm going to freak out!! I just might wait to read this book until the last one is closer to being released. I've already been waiting I can wait even longer.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.