Saturday, February 11, 2012

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer: re-review & audio clip

Goodreads rating: 4.25
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 387 pages
Published January 3rd 2012 by Feiwel & Friends (ARC edition)
Characters: Kai, Cinder

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

In this thrilling debut young adult novel, the first of a quartet, Marissa Meyer introduces readers to an unforgettable heroine and a masterfully crafted new world that’s enthralling.

5/5

I wasn't sure what to think going into this one. I had heard it was a Cinderella story retelling, but I didn't see how it was going to work in a dystopian/post-apocalyptic setting. Apparently very well. When it comes to fairytale retellings, an author has a lot of liberty, and sometimes that can work, and sometimes it can't. Marissa Meyer made it work. There was the typical evil step mother, and the two step sisters--one nice, one mean. And of course, there was the prince. I loved how Cinder wasn't just completely locked away. She had to be out in public in order to keep up her business and being the city's best mechanic. And she had a friend. It may have been a droid, but a friend is a friend, something Cinder desperately needed. Cinder only knows that her now-dead stepfather found her in Europe at an orphanage. We find out she's a lot more than just some orphan.

I loved the dynamic between Kai and Cinder, and it was one I absolutely want to see more of. It wasn't the relationship I was expecting between them, which is why I think it appealed to me so much. I was completely invested in them, even when they didn't realize how invested they were in each other. I'll say one thing against this novel, and that's its predictability. It had nothing to do with the fact that it was a fairytale retelling. Those are the kind of stories where you expect certain things, but this was different. You could have easily guessed who Cinder really was, and what would happen not at the very end but in many of the parts. But it was still enjoyable, and one of the most unique dystopians I've ever read.

Even if you don't like fairytale retellings, Cinder is for you. You're never sure what you're going to get when someone else's work is being tweaked, almost beyond recognition. But you grow to love Cinder and Kai and the strange world that they find themselves in. And the cliffhanger is completely unfair, but in the best way possible. You'll want to pick this one up, and if you're doing Kristi's Debut Author Challenge, this is definitely a worthwhile one to add to your list.

Also, check out my interview with the author and comment to win some swag! Hurry, it ends tomorrow at midnight! :)

Thinking about reading Cinder? Already read Cinder and thirsting for more? Well look no further! The publisher has provided a clip of the audio, and it sounds fantastic! If you don't fall in love after this, I don't know how else I can convince you. Listen for yourself (you will need some sort of media player as all attempts of embedding the audio onto my blog have failed):

1 comment:

  1. I originally bought this in eBook because I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but I had to go out and buy it in hardback after finishing it. I just loved it that much! I totally agree with you that Marissa Meyer made this work, and I was shocked at how much she was able to cram into one story. I also agree that the story was predictable, but I think the reason I didn't mind it was because there were so many other fresh and unexpected aspects to the story. From the plague to the lunars to Cinder's unique make-up, I was never bored!

    Great review! I'm looking forward to following you because it seems we have similar tastes in books :)
    Lauren @ Hughes Reviews

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.