Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Need So Beautiful (A Need So Beautiful #1) by Suzanne Young: review

Goodreads rating: 3.83
Hardcover, 267 pages
Published June 21st 2011 by Balzer & Bray
ISBN
0062008242 (ISBN13: 9780062008244)
series
  We all want to be remembered. Charlotte's destiny is to be Forgotten...

Charlotte’s best friend thinks Charlotte might be psychic. Her boyfriend thinks she’s cheating on him. But Charlotte knows what’s really wrong: She is one of the Forgotten, a kind of angel on earth, who feels the Need—a powerful, uncontrollable draw to help someone, usually a stranger.

But Charlotte never wanted this responsibility. What she wants is to help her best friend, whose life is spiraling out of control. She wants to lie in her boyfriend's arms forever. But as the Need grows stronger, it begins to take a dangerous toll on Charlotte. And who she was, is, and will become--her mark on this earth, her very existence--is in jeopardy of disappearing completely.

Charlotte will be forced to choose: Should she embrace her fate as a Forgotten, a fate that promises to rip her from the lives of those she loves forever? Or is she willing to fight against her destiny--no matter how dark the consequences.

5/5

Recommendation: High

I was surprised by how much I loved this book. I’d heard good things about it and even some raving recommendations from fellow bloggers, but I was still apprehensive. When I entered the Harper Imprint Challenge, I knew this would be my chance to read it. And I am so happy I did. It’s much shorter than most of the books I read, meaning I assumed that it would be lacking somehow. But Young’s writing is exquisite and before I knew it I was ensnared by this mysterious angel book. It was near perfection.

Another setback might have been that it was about angels. All YA readers have read their share of angel books because let’s face it, fallen angels are pretty dang sexy. But this was different. Angels in this book aren’t godlike with all these amazing powers. They’re even more vulnerable than humans, have less time on Earth, and when they leave, no one remembers them. Charlotte has no idea why she gets these sudden painful urges to go to places and eventually save someone. All she knows is that they’re getting worse, and her best friend and her boyfriend are starting to notice. On top of that, her skin is flaking off, revealing a glowing gold layer. It’s pretty weird at this point, but oddly exciting.

That ending! Just unfair. I have the sequel, A Want So Wicked, coming on an ARC Tour, and I’m really excited to see what happens next. I really don’t see how this series can continue, unless there’s another way for Charlotte’s soul to keep a human body. And then there’s Harlin. I fell in love with Harlin, and his reactions were completely justified and understandable, which made it even worse. This book is unforgettable and a very different and amazing take on angels. I can’t wait to see what Young comes up with next for this series.

6 comments:

  1. Oh great review I Was wary of this one because of the angels and they've been a hit or miss with me lately. This sounds like a hit one though I should give it a try!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad for this review. I think that I will like this one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I like that the angels are going to be different. Count me excited for this one now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another angel book that I need to read! I actually just got the ARC of A Need So Wicked, so I really need to read this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg your review makes me crave this book even moreeee!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your review. I like many other people have struggled with the question why am I here, what is my purpose. Will I be remembered for anything. Then I think of the movie "It's a Wonderful Life" and I can't imagine what my family's life would be like without me. Maybe just being there for your family is all the purpose one needs.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.