Thursday, January 26, 2012

Incarnate (Newsoul #1) by Jodie Meadows: review

Goodreads rating: 4.17
Hardcover, 384 pages
Expected publication: January 31st 2012 by HarperCollins Children's Books
Series: Newsoul #1
NEWSOUL
Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.

NOSOUL
Even Ana’s own mother thinks she’s a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she’ll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are suspicious and afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?

HEART
Sam believes Ana’s new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana’s enemies—human and creature alike—let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else’s life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all? 
4.5/5
 
I’m not sure what to say about this exactly. It’s not really a kind of book that you can put into a category. It seems dystopian as well as post-apocalyptic, but I can’t be sure if it’s just a completely different world from earth all together. And then there’s the whole reincarnation thing. To be honest, it made me think of The Host by Stephanie Meyer (though it feels like we’ll be getting the sequel to Incarnate before the second Host book comes out). All of these souls have been with each other for thousands of years. The only difference between this book and The Host is that these souls don’t travel from world to world. They remain on whatever planet it is. And it’s a planet filled with fantastical, evil monsters. And I don’t just mean the dragons and the burning, moaning sylphs.

Ana is the first newsoul, or as her horrible mother calls her, nosoul. Her mother has treated her like she’s worthless, because Ana is the first soul to replace an old soul, one named Ciana. And let’s just say the other souls aren’t too happy about that. Everyone has the same lifespan, but when they’re reborn they remember everything from their previous lives. Ana’s mother was meant to bear Ciana’s soul, but what she got was an entirely new soul. Ana’s mother lied to her, beat her, tricked her. So when Ana turns 18, she decides to leave home and her horrid mother for the main city called Heart.

When she nearly dies from drowning in a frozen lake after sylphs chase her, a young man named Sam saves her. Ana isn’t used to human contact, or anyone treating her more than a nothing nosoul. But Sam sees something in her, and he has some secrets of his own. I loved the romance between these two. There was so instalove, which was such a relief. That’s become a pet peeve of mine recently. It was slow and unsure, but it’s absolute magic when they finally get together. I read that scene over and over. They are perfect for each other, and I can’t wait to see where everything goes from here.

This world Meadows has created for her readers is so vivid and different from anything I’ve read in YA for a very long time. I’m still not sure what to think about the pulsing temple or why these souls are reincarnated. But I get the feeling Ana won’t be the only newsoul in Heart. If you’re looking for something completely different and vivid and heartbreaking, this book is for you. Besides, the cover is gorgeous!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh I just reviewed thsi today and I'm happoy you liked this too! I agree with the world building it's so cool and original! Lovely review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely know what you mean! I couldn't figure it out either, but it's more fantasy than anything I think. SO GOOD THOUGH! Glad you loved it :)

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.