Tuesday, January 24, 2012

In My Mailbox (24)

In My Mailbox is a meme hosted by Kristi over at The Story Siren, where you create a post of the books you either received in the mail, bought at a bookstore, or borrowed from the library.


 NOTE: If you're unfamiliar with how I do things with my IMM, I basically give a little back story to the books I have pictured. Also, if there are ARC's, I'll give a synopsis and date published.


 WON

~Ashfall (Ashfall #1) by Mike Mullin:  I won this from the wonderful blogger of Books Like Stars. I actually think I have a review copy of this book, but I love physical books much better than the e-ARC I think I have. And it actually sounds very interesting. I will be reviewing this one.


~Wander Dust (The Seraphina Parrish Trilogy #1) by Michelle Warren [bookmark]: I've heard awesome things about this book, and although a bookmark isn't the real thing, I love anything that's signed by an author! Hopefully, I will get a copy of Wander Dust soon.

BORROWED

~Incarnate (Newsoul #1) by Jodie Meadows: I borrowed this from the lovely Anna at Literary Exploration. It's been one of her favorites of this year and I knew I had to read it. And I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would! I'll have a review posted up in the next few days.

PUBLICATION DATE: January 31st

NEWSOUL
Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.

NOSOUL
Even Ana’s own mother thinks she’s a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she’ll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are suspicious and afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?

HEART
Sam believes Ana’s new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana’s enemies—human and creature alike—let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else’s life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?

GIFTED

  
~The Fault in Our Stars by John Green: I haven't read very much of John Green (horrid, I know), and to be honest I wasn't sure I was going to buy this one. But when I saw signed copy of it at Costco of all places for $10.59 I knew I had to get it. My dad bought it for me. And the signature is in green so that made me happy. I will be reviewing this one.


BOUGHT


~The Hidden (The Hollow #3) by Jessica Verday: Let me just say that I did not like the first book in this series very much. I like the idea of using the Sleepy Hollow legend, but there wasn't much of it and I wasn't particularly inclined to her writing style. Luckily, Verday really stepped it up in The Haunted, so I can't wait to see how this series ends now. I may be reviewing this one.

~A Million Suns (Across the Universe #2) by Beth Revis: I got this book for multiple reasons. One is that it's on my Sophomore Reading Challenge list, two is that I'm going to a signing of hers in February (check my signings tab), and three I really liked Across the Universe so naturally I'd buy the sequel. I will be reviewing this one.

~The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler: The main reason I got this book is because I'm going to a signing with these two authors today! Also, the package from B&N just came today, so I was pretty relieved when I saw it sitting outside my door. I've heard great things about it. I will be reviewing this one.

FOR REVIEW



~The Fairy Ring by Marie Losure: A special thanks to Candlewick Press and NetGalley.

PUBLICATION DATE: March 27th

The enchanting true story of a girl who saw fairies, and another with a gift for art, who concocted a story to stay out of trouble and ended up fooling the world.

Frances was nine when she first saw the fairies. They were tiny men, dressed all in green. Nobody but Frances saw them, so her cousin Elsie painted paper fairies and took photographs of them "dancing" around Frances to make the grown-ups stop teasing. The girls promised each other they would never, ever tell that the photos weren't real. But how were Frances and Elsie supposed to know that their photographs would fall into the hands of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle? And who would have dreamed that the man who created the famous detective Sherlock Holmes believed ardently in fairies - and wanted very much to see one? Mary Losure presents this enthralling true story as a fanciful narrative featuring the original Cottingley fairy photos and previously unpublished drawings and images from the family's archives. A delight for everyone with a fondness for fairies, and for anyone who has ever started something that spun out of control.

 
~Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles #2) by Melina Marchetta: A special thanks to Candlewick Press and NetGalley.

PUBLICATION DATE: March 13th

From master storyteller Melina Marchetta comes an exhilarating new fantasy springing from her celebrated epic, Finnikin of the Rock.

Three years after the curse on Lumatere was lifted, Froi has found his home . . . or so he believes. Fiercely loyal to the Queen and Finnikin, Froi has been taken roughly and lovingly in hand by the Guard sworn to protect the royal family, and has learned to control his quick temper with a warrior's discipline. But when he is sent on a secretive mission to the kingdom of Charyn, nothing could have prepared him for what he finds in its surreal royal court. Soon he must unravel both the dark bonds of kinship and the mysteries of a half-mad princess in this barren and mysterious place. It is in Charyn that he will discover there is a song sleeping in his blood . . . and though Froi would rather not, the time has come to listen.



~The Peculiars by Maureen Doyle McQuerry: A special thanks to ABRAMS publishing and NetGalley.

PUBLICATION DATE: May 1st

This dark and thrilling adventure, with an unforgettable heroine, will captivate fans of steampunk, fantasy, and romance.
On her 18th birthday, Lena Mattacascar decides to search for her father, who disappeared into the northern wilderness of Scree when Lena was young. Scree is inhabited by Peculiars, people whose unusual characteristics make them unacceptable to modern society. Lena wonders if her father is the source of her own extraordinary characteristics and if she, too, is Peculiar. On the train she meets a young librarian, Jimson Quiggley, who is traveling to a town on the edge of Scree to work in the home and library of the inventor Mr. Beasley. The train is stopped by men being chased by the handsome young marshal Thomas Saltre. When Saltre learns who Lena’s father is, he convinces her to spy on Mr. Beasley and the strange folk who disappear into his home, Zephyr House. A daring escape in an aerocopter leads Lena into the wilds of Scree to confront her deepest fears.



~Croak (Croak #1) by Gina Damico: A special thanks to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and NetGalley.


PUBLICATION DATE: March 20th

Sixteen-year-old Lex Bartleby has sucker-punched her last classmate. Fed up with her punkish, wild behavior, her parents ship her off to upstate New York to live with her Uncle Mort for the summer, hoping that a few months of dirty farm work will whip her back into shape. But Uncle Mort’s true occupation is much dirtier than that of shoveling manure.

He’s a Grim Reaper. And he’s going to teach her the family business.

Lex quickly assimilates into the peculiar world of Croak, a town populated entirely by reapers who deliver souls from this life to the next. Along with her infuriating yet intriguing partner Driggs and a rockstar crew of fellow Grim apprentices, Lex is soon zapping her Targets like a natural born Killer.

Yet her innate ability morphs into an unchecked desire for justice—or is it vengeance?—whenever she’s forced to Kill a murder victim, craving to stop the attackers before they can strike again. So when people start to die—that is, people who aren’t supposed to be dying, people who have committed grievous crimes against the innocent—Lex’s curiosity is piqued. Her obsession grows as the bodies pile up, and a troubling question begins to swirl through her mind: if she succeeds in tracking down the murderer, will she stop the carnage—or will she ditch Croak and join in?


 What did you get in your mailbox this week? Leave me a link in the comments section!

4 comments:

  1. Great haul!

    I really liked The Hidden. I too think the first one lacked but The Haunted picks up.

    My IMM: http://thelittlebluepig.blogspot.com/2012/01/in-my-mailbox-6.html

    Angela @ The Little Blue Pig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for TFIOS. It is amazing! Hope you'll enjoy it!
    Happy Reading!
    Em
    My IMM post
    A Beautiful Madness

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hidden
    A million suns
    and Croak
    All look amazing. Nice IMM!!
    *New follower*
    My IMM: http://epiloguereview.blogspot.com/2012/01/imm-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great set! I got Froi too. I really want to read John Green's book and The Future of Us.
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.