Tuesday, January 10, 2012

In My Mailbox (22)

In My Mailbox is a meme hosted by Kristi over at The Story Siren, where you create a post of the books you either received in the mail, bought at a bookstore, or borrowed from the library.


NOTE: If you're unfamiliar with how I do things with my IMM, I basically give a little back story to the books I have pictured. Also, if there are ARC's, I'll give a synopsis and date published.


I'm really excited about the books I got this week. The first featured below are books I got with my B&N $50 gift card, and the second featured are from a trip to the store with an amazing coupon where you can get 50% off every teen book in your purchase. Can you say awesomesauce?


BOUGHT

~Half-Blood (Covenant #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout: So I've seen and heard people absolutely raving about this author and her work, especially when one of her characters was in the YA Heroine Tourney a couple weeks ago. When I got a B&N gift card for Christmas, I decided to buy this one. I love mythology books, so I'm excited to see what she can bring to the genre. I will be reviewing this one.

~Obisidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout: I've heard great things about this series, and not many YA books are written about aliens, so I can't wait to see what happens! I've also heard there are some sexy scenes (as YA goes) in both of Armentrout's series, so I can't wait for those! I will be reviewing this one.

~Dearly, Departed (Gone with the Respiration #1) by Lia Habel: I really honestly don't know what this is about. So I get that there's zombies, and that it's set in the future, and besides that it sounds just a little creepy. But I've heard such great reviews, I couldn't pass it up! I will be reviewing this one.

~Bloodrose (Nightshade #3) by Andrea Cremer: I've stuck with this series from the beginning, and even through the cover changes, which I do not approve of. I've already gone to get the first two in the series signed by Andrea, when she was with Stephanie Perkins and Kiersten White. Now I'm going to another signing with 3 other authors to get the final books signed! I just finished this one, and there was so much heartache! I didn't cry though, so a plus there. I will be reviewing this one.


~Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy #2) by Jennifer Estep: In my last IMM, I featured the first book in this series. When I realized I could get the second one for $4, I couldn't resist. And I LOVE the cover! I may be reviewing this one.

~Shattered (Cold Awakening #2) by Robin Wasserman: I didn't realize that I've actually seen this series in the stores before. Not only did this dystopian series get a cover makeover, but also a name change. I must say, I like the new covers. I technically own the first one, but I'm getting it for my birthday so I can't hold it in my hands quite yet. I may be reviewing this one.

~Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins: I absolutely adored Anna and the French Kiss, and I actually already finished this one. It's been on my wishlist for forever and it's nice to finally have a copy. I will be reviewing this one after Bloodrose.

~Still Waters by Emma Carlson Berne: I've heard mixed reviews for this one, as well as it being really creepy. I'll definitely be giving it a chance though. I may be reviewing this one.

~Dreaming Awake (Falling Under #2) by Gwen Hayes: I really enjoyed Falling Under, and I didn't even realize the sequel was coming out until I saw the author mention it on Twitter. I'm surprised by how excited I am to read this. I will be reviewing this one.

FOR REVIEW


~Welcome Caller, This is Chloe by Shelley Coriell: A special thanks to ABRAMS publishing and NetGalley.

PUBLICATION DATE: May 1st

Big-hearted Chloe Camden is the queen of her universe until her best friend shreds her reputation and her school counselor axes her junior independent study project. Chloe is forced to take on a meaningful project in order to pass, and so she joins her school’s struggling radio station, where the other students don’t find her too queenly. Ostracized by her former BFs and struggling with her beloved Grams’s mental deterioration, lonely Chloe ends up hosting a call-in show that gets the station much-needed publicity and, in the end, trouble. She also befriends radio techie and loner Duncan Moore, a quiet soul with a romantic heart. On and off the air, Chloe faces her loneliness and helps others find the fun and joy in everyday life. Readers will fall in love with Chloe as she falls in love with the radio station and the misfits who call it home.

 
~Pieces of us by Margie Gelbwasser: A special thanks to Flux Books and NetGalley. 

PUBLICATION DATE: March 8th

Two families. Four teens.
A summer full of secrets.

Every summer, hidden away in a lakeside community in upstate New York, four teens leave behind their old identities…and escape from their everyday lives.

Yet back in Philadelphia during the school year, Alex cannot suppress his anger at his father (who killed himself), his mother (whom he blames for it), and the girls who give it up too easily. His younger brother, Kyle, is angry too—at his abusive brother, and at their mother who doesn’t seem to care. Meanwhile, in suburban New Jersey, Katie plays the role of Miss Perfect while trying to forget the nightmare that changed her life. But Julie, her younger sister, sees Katie only as everything she’s not. And their mother will never let Julie forget it.

Up at the lake, they can be anything, anyone. Free. But then Katie’s secret gets out, forcing each of them to face reality—before it tears them to pieces.


 ~Candlewax by C. Bailey Sims: A special thanks to Terabyte Press and NetGalley. 

 PUBLICATION DATE: April 3rd

An Ancient Prophecy. A Powerful Relic. An Insatiable Evil. When all three converge, the fate of every living thing will be in peril.

All her life Catherine had hoped to see a fairrier cat. No book, no scroll provided to her by her tutors had ever mentioned this legend, much to her frustration, and now-at the worse possible time-she was getting her wish. Only, in her wish the cat wasn't about to kill her.

A 732-year-old fairrier cat the size of a horse has killed his fair share of hunters. Driven to the brink of extinction for the supernatural powers of his coat, is he indeed the last of his kind?

Sheltered, 16-year-old Catherine is about to find out. Unwitting heir to the Ancient Onyxes, she flees an arranged marriage only to stumble upon the cat's secrets, the force of the ancient relic she wears, and the dangerous mission they must undertake.

Hidden under a desert that was once a fertile land, millions of predators are waiting to feast again. Catherine must discover the secret of the Ancient Onyxes and stop the creatures known as trodliks before they consume everything in their path. A whispered prophecy becomes her only guide and a rejected suitor just might be the one warrior she desperately needs. 


~The Vanishing Game by Kate Kae Meyers: A special thanks to Bloomsbury Children's Publishing and NetGalley.

PUBLICATION DATE: February 14th

Jocelyn's twin brother Jack was the only family she had growing up in a world of foster homes-and now he's dead, and she has nothing. Then she gets a cryptic letter from "Jason December"-the code name her brother used to use when they were children at Seale House, a terrifying foster home that they believed had dark powers. Only one other person knows about Jason December: Noah, Jocelyn's childhood crush and their only real friend among the troubled children at Seale House.

But when Jocelyn returns to Seale House and the city where she last saw Noah, she gets more than she bargained for. Turns out the house's powers weren't just a figment of a childish imagination. And someone is following Jocelyn. Is Jack still alive? And if he is, what kind of trouble is he in? The answer is revealed in a shocking twist that turns this story on its head and will send readers straight back to page 1 to read the book in a whole new light.


~Scarlet by A. C. Gaughen: A special thanks to Bloomsbury Children's Publishing and NetGalley.

PUBLICATION DATE: February 14th

Many readers know the tale of Robin Hood, but they will be swept away by this new version full of action, secrets, and romance.

Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Taker Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire. Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life as Gisbourne closes in. It’s only her fierce loyalty to Robin—whose quick smiles and sharp temper have the rare power to unsettle her—that keeps Scarlet going and makes this fight worth dying for.


~Stolen Away by Alyxandra Harvey: A special thanks to Bloomsbury Children's Publishing and NetGalley.

PUBLICATION DATE: January 17th

For seventeen years, Eloise Hart had no idea the world of Faery even existed. Now she has been abducted and trapped in the Rath of Lord Strahan, King of Faery. Strahan was only meant to rule for seven years, as Faery tradition dictates, and then give up his crown to another. But he won't comply, and now chaos threatens both worlds.

The only one who can break his stranglehold on the Faery court is his wife. . . Eloise's aunt Antonia. Using Eloise to lure Antonia, Strahan captures his wife, desperate to end the only threat to his reign. Now Eloise must become the rescuer. Together with her best friends Jo and Devin, she must forge alliances with other Fae, including a gorgeous protector named Lucas, and Strahan's mysterious son, Eldric-who may or may not betray them.


~Partials (Partials #1) by Dan Wells: A special thanks to Harper Collins publishing and NetGalley.

PUBLICATION DATE: February 28th

The human race is all but extinct after a war with Partials—engineered organic beings identical to humans—has decimated the population. Reduced to tens of thousands by RM, a weaponized virus to which only a fraction of humanity is immune, the survivors in North America have huddled together on Long Island while the Partials have mysteriously retreated. The threat of the Partials is still imminent, but worse, no baby has been born immune to RM in more than a decade. Our time is running out.

Kira, a sixteen-year-old medic in training, is on the front lines of this battle, seeing RM ravage the community while mandatory pregnancy laws threaten to launch what’s left of humanity into civil war, and she’s not content to stand by and watch. But as she makes a desperate decision to save the last of her race, she will discover that the survival of humans and Partials alike rests in her attempts to uncover the connections between them—connections that humanity has forgotten, or perhaps never even knew were there.

Dan Wells, acclaimed author of I Am Not a Serial Killer, takes readers on a pulse-pounding journey into a world where the very concept of what it means to be human is in question—one where our humanity is both our greatest liability and our only hope for survival.

FREE FOR KINDLE 

~Smokeless Fire (Fire Spirits #1), Slumber (The Fade #1), and Blood Will Tell (Warriors of Ankh #1) by Samantha Young: I've been wanting to read Samantha Young for a while, so it was nice to see that the first books of a lot of her series were free. I may be reviewing these.

What did you guys get in your mailbox this week? Let me know in the comments! :)

2 comments:

  1. Half blood and Obsidian will not dissapoint!!!!! not only are her men STEAMY AND DREAMY but her heroins are just covered in AWESOMESAUCE!!!!! seriously!!!! good haul!!

    Tara's IMM and her giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't like Lola and the Boy Next Door as much as Anna and the French Kiss but it's still a good read. I'm looking forward to Scarlet, I've heard such good things about it. Enjoy reading the rest of your books. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.