Thursday, January 19, 2012

Hallowed (Unearthly #2) by Cynthia Hand: review

Goodreads rating: 4.42
Hardcover, 416 pages
Publication: January 17th 2012

Series: Unearthly #2

For months part-angel Clara Gardner trained to face the raging forest fire from her visions and rescue the alluring and mysterious Christian Prescott from the blaze. But nothing could prepare her for the fateful decisions she would be forced to make that day, or the startling revelation that her purpose—the task she was put on earth to accomplish—is not as straightforward as she thought. 

Now, torn between her increasingly complicated feelings for Christian and her love for her boyfriend, Tucker, Clara struggles to make sense of what she was supposed to do the day of the fire. And, as she is drawn further into the world of part angels and the growing conflict between White Wings and Black Wings, Clara learns of the terrifying new reality that she must face: Someone close to her will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.

4.5/5

Recommendation: High, only if you've read Unearthly

I will be the first to admit that I gave Unearthly 4 stars because I felt like Clara had picked the wrong guy. I honestly skipped a good chunk of the book because I didn’t want to hear about Clara and Tucker. I wanted to hear about Clara and Christian. And boy, I got what I wanted in this one. Besides the Black Wings, the relationship between these three are my main focus. It’s the best for Tucker if he just stays away from Clara. I wish I could tell him.

I liked this one much better than Unearthly, solely for the reason stated above. But there was also a lot more mystery. We find out more about what and who Clara is. I was shocked at a few things, and there’s more heartache in this one book than I’ve read in a while. I didn’t cry, but there was definitely an ache in my heart. I think if I had a better relationship with my own mother, I’d feel differently. You’ll just have to read to find out.

I’m interested to see where this series is going. It’s become a lot about the love triangle. Despite this destiny that Clara seems to have, she still yearns for Tucker, who she knows she’s endangering by just being with him. Christian makes her stronger, and if you want my opinion Tucker just makes her weak. She can’t be her true self and her full glory with him, because he’s just a human and glory scares humans. It doesn’t scare Nephilim though, like Christian per say.

Hallowed exceeded by expectations. As I said, I wasn’t as into Unearthly as other people seemed to be because I thought Clara picked the wrong guy. Needless to say, Hallowed made me very happy despite the overall sadness of the novel. I can’t wait to see what happens in the third and final (?) Unearthly novel.

10 comments:

  1. NICOLE!!!!!!! I'm totally team Tucker!! haha. But I do love Christian though and even more so after I read this one. Glad you liked it and I'll forgive you for being anti-Tucker! :P

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Giselle no!!! I'm glad to be forgiven, and I forgive you for being team Tucker :DD

      Delete
  2. Hallowed turned out to be a nice sequel to Unearthly. It was predictable at some points, in my opinion, however it did throw a curve ball here and there. I was happy that this book did finally offer some real information that had been getting withheld from the reader. I was glad to see that Christian still seemed to get a chance in this book even though he wasn't her boyfriend. I don't know if there will be a third book. I feel like there wasn't much left open at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree this one was predictable but I did enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read Unearthly, so I might have to read that first, but this sounds amazing, even if it's sad. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Tucker is so amazing. Christian is so boring and like every other YA guy. Tucker's sexy but real. This makes me sooooo sad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was such a great sequel to Unearthly! Team Christian!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great review! I also loved this sequel! But I have to disagree with you on one little thing: I'm Team Tucker all the way! Although this book did show a new side of Christian that I could grow to love. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel so behind with all these books! I just bought a copy of Unearthly a couple weeks ago. I can't wait to read them - I've heard great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read any of the books in this review. What I find interesting is the conflict, "choice" and "purpose" of Life, right from wrong, good vs bad, Black vs white, etc. This makes me want to read the series.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.