Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Entwined by Heather Dixon: review

Goodreads rating: 3.82
Hardcover, 480 pages
Published March 29th 2011 by Greenwillow Books 
Azalea is trapped. Just when she should feel that everything is before her . . . beautiful gowns, dashing suitors, balls filled with dancing . . . it's taken away. All of it.
The Keeper understands. He's trapped, too, held for centuries within the walls of the palace. And so he extends an invitation.
Every night, Azalea and her eleven sisters may step through the enchanted passage in their room to dance in his silver forest.
But there is a cost.
The Keeper likes to keep things.
Azalea may not realize how tangled she is in his web until it is too late.  
 

4/5


I didn’t have the best feelings going into Entwined. There were so many mixed reviews and I didn’t know what to think. But I started it and I realized three things: one, I love fairytale retellings; two, I find myself enjoying the older time periods when the original story took place; and three, I need a romance, no matter how small. Entwined surprised me with how good it was.

The sisters were hilarious. They barely go anywhere without each other, and if you think you’re alone, they’re probably waiting in the bushes to see what happens. I’ve never had any siblings, so it was a little difficult for me to relate to this aspect of the book. But the older sisters really added that element of not only responsibility for Azalea, but also the comedic relief. They also set the stage for Mr. Bradford and any other potential suitors, and if they don’t except the suitors then they usually don’t come back again Also, the father element was sweet. The author made it seem like he didn’t love the girls, but you could tell that he loved them but he was in mourning over his wife, their mother.

I loved the romance. There wasn’t just one sister that got her happy ending, although Azalea was the main focus. Mr. Bradford was utterly perfect for her, and I loved their slowly-budding relationship. While you could tell what they felt for each other, it was still so infuriating when everything—and especially Keeper—kept getting in the way. The magic was a lovely touch, and reminded me a little of Beauty and the Beast with the magical tea set. Everything stuck mostly close to the story. I would definitely suggest reading the story before reading the book. Let’s just say the endings are not quite the same.

I would definitely recommend this novel. As I said, I love fairytale retellings. The romance and the magic made it dark, but beautiful. There was some heartache, and a few surprises. Overall, a great read.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you like it bc I have a copy sitting on my shelf that needs to be read lol! Great review, I'm excited for this one now :)

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.