Saturday, January 28, 2012

Die For Me (Revenants #1) by Amy Plum: review

Goodreads rating: 4.08
Hardcover, 341 pages
Published May 10th 2011 by HarperTeen (first published May 5th 2011)

Series: Revenants #1

Setting: Paris, 2010

My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.


Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent. 

Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen. 

Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind. 

While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart—as well as my life and my family's—in jeopardy for a chance at love?

5/5

I’ve definitely fallen in love with books set in Paris. It started with Anna and the French Kiss and moved on from there. There’s just something about this city that’s magical, so it makes sense that it’s a setting for a paranormal novel. There was very little lull in this one, and I found myself enjoying it more than I thought I would. Kate was a very likeable character, and in the beginning I really fell in love with Vincent. To be honest, by the end, he was a little too obsessed with Kate. Not that she seemed to mind.

I really liked the idea of immortals. At first it made me think of Alyson Noel’s series, but I’m hoping this series turns out a lot better than Noel’s did. There’s not much about immortals in YA, and I enjoyed the spin Plum put on it. Vincent and his “family” are immortal, but that’s because when they died, they gave their lives for someone else. Now, somehow, this doesn’t work for everyone who gives their life for someone else, but their master or “father” or whatever he is has a keen sense for these immortals, and if he doesn’t wake them up then they truly die. But there are also bad immortals, those who kill people instead of saving them. And the two groups are literally immortal enemies

The romance was interesting. Cute, but a little too fast. I am satisfied though that “I love you” wasn’t said in the first book. I think that’s the only thing that really saved this romance for me. Kate and Vincent were moving really fast, and even though you could see the obvious connection between them, I could feel Vincent getting obsessive, especially when he was in his hibernation mode and couldn’t use his body. But besides that, I loved the cute moments between them and I can’t wait for more.

I’m happy I finally got to read this one. It’d been sitting on my shelf for a while, and when I saw I could read it during my Harper Imprint Challenge, I couldn’t wait. Now I can’t wait for the sequel!

1 comment:

  1. I really love Die for Me and I'm really glad you liked it! I really love how Kate and Vincent's story evolves in the story. I find the love story so cute specially the lines of Vincent. I didn't find Kate and Vincent moving fast, I think Kate still has the reservation throughout the whole book. I think the connection is really obvious. Great review!

    Jay @ We Fancy Books

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.