Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Carrier of the Mark (Carrier Trilogy #1) by Leigh Fallon: review

Goodreads rating: 3.55
Paperback, 342 pages
Published October 4th 2011 by HarperTeen
Setting: Kinsale, 2011 (Ireland)

Their love was meant to be.

When Megan Rosenberg moves to Ireland, everything in her life seems to fall into place. After growing up in America, she's surprised to find herself feeling at home in her new school. She connects with a group of friends, and she is instantly drawn to darkly handsome Adam DeRÍs.

But Megan is about to discover that her feelings for Adam are tied to a fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that brought them together could be their ultimate destruction.

2.5/5
 
I just did not like this. I know it’s never good to start a review off with those words, but in this case, it’s necessary. I think it was a pretty good tipoff when Harper Collins published this in paperback first print instead of hardcover. The greatest books coming from this publishing company are all hardcover, and while I considered this before buying the book, I was sucked in by the cover. Sadly, that was the only cool thing about it. I am still totally obsessed with the cover, which I think got awarded that .5 after the 2.

What I DID like: The idea. I love mythology as much as the next person. And the fact that I’m half Irish and am really into the Celtic myths played a part as well. The use of the four elements was. I’m not sure whether they’re witches or what, but you can’t really categorize this one, and in a good way when it comes to the uniqueness of the idea.

What I DIDN’T like (a much longer, ranty list): Whenever I give a “bad” rating for a book, I always mention how great the idea is, while the execution of the idea was the killer. Same thing here. But that really isn’t my beef with this book. That is in three parts, meaning the three most important (to me) parts of a YA paranormal romance novel: Instalove, sucky dialogue, and plot mishaps.

Instalove: The sudden random attraction between Megan and Adam was completely unexplained. This was just ridiculous, and so like the beginning of the relationship between Bella and Edward from Twilight (almost down to the exact words) that I wanted to throw up on this book so I didn’t have to read it anymore. I could see then why people were comparing it to Twilight, in the worst way possible of course. I LOVE Twilight (the books, not the movies), and seeing one of my favorite series being used like that did not make me want to read it. But I don’t think I’ve ever not finished a book, so I kept truckin’. I was hoping it would get better, but sadly, the beginning held the best writing. They were already saying I love you just past half way through the book. Just horrible.

Sucky dialogue: This is one of my biggest pet peeves and it’s why I work so hard on my own dialogue for my novel. Everything coming out of everyone’s mouth was utter crap and awkward as heck! I think my favorite character was Rian, but even his dialogue was a little off by the end. I want to go up to this author and say, “Learn how people talk in real life,” *points to Carrier of the Mark* “This is not it!” I cringed every time someone spoke, and that’s why this was so hard for me to finish. The dialogue was my biggest issue with this one.

Plot mishaps: As an author, you really have to choose wisely what plot points to keep in and what to throw away. That did not happen here. I can’t think of single examples, but some scenes were just unnecessary and ended up being just fluff. Annoying fluff; the worst kind. The ending was anticlimactic, and to be honest I was confused about what was happening with Megan right then. And on top of that, the bad guy that was following her is already dead! Seriously?

I wanted to like this book so badly. But I found myself putting it down and simply not wanting to pick it back up. I ended up sort of speeding through the last third of it. I just wasn’t emotionally invested in the characters. I may continue this series if I hear that it’s better than the first one. I’m hoping that Fallon’s writing will mature and that she fixes her effing dialogue. Otherwise, I will not be continuing this series.

2 comments:

  1. I actually really enjoyed this book, but I'm sorry you didn't. I didn't find the similarities to Twilight too annoying; I liked them, actually! Haha. I'm still searching for the book to rival my love for Twilight, I think. :-) The mythology is, like you said, the strongest point and I can't wait to see it expanded in the sequel!

    Also, I don't think just because it's in paperback means it's worse than a book in hardcover. Bookstores are more reluctant to stock hardcovers than paperbacks, so I think it's more of an economic and marketing plan than content quality.

    Wendy Higgins' book was also picked up by Harper through InkPop and it's called Sweet Evil. You might enjoy that one more! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was it really that bad? I mean I haven't read this book but the summary sounded pretty good and the cover looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.