Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Bloodrose (Nightshade #3) by Andrea Cremer: review

Goodreads rating: 3.94
Hardcover, 406 pages
Published January 3rd 2012 by Philomel
 
 The Ultimate Sacrifice.

Calla has always welcomed war. But now that the final battle is upon her, there’s more at stake than fighting. There’s saving Ren, even if it incurs Shay’s wrath. There’s keeping Ansel safe, even if he’s been branded a traitor. There’s proving herself as the pack’s alpha, facing unnamable horrors, and ridding the world of the Keepers’ magic once and for all. And then there’s deciding what to do when the war ends. If Calla makes it out alive, that is.

In the final installment of the Nightshade trilogy, New York Times bestselling author Andrea Cremer creates a novel with twists and turns that will keep you on the edge of your seat until its final pages. A dynamic end to this breathtaking trilogy.
 
5/5
This final novel in the Nightshade series was one word: heartbreaking. I was admittedly dreading this. I wasn’t sure what I was going to get, because it was the last stand for everything. And I knew it would break my heart, I just didn’t know how. When a series comes to an end, every one of the big issues has to be solved. Like the war between the Searchers and the Keepers. Like the love triangle between Calla, Ren, and Shay.And it was, just not how I was expecting.

This entire book was action-packed, which I absolutely loved. I really felt let down by Wolfsbane, because there was too much talking and not enough action, which was the reason I fell in love with Nightshade. Many of the facts that we were supposed to understand (and Calla didn’t even understand) about the Searchers and the Keepers in Wolfsbane pretty much slipped through my attention, and that’s why the second book was mediocre to me. Luckily, Cremer really stepped it up in Bloodrose. It was less about the history of the enemies and more about finishing this war between them.

I want to say more. I’m DYING to say more. But anything else I say will be totally and completely spoilery. And while I’m glad the series is over and complete, Calla’s messed up world was one I enjoyed living in. Not everyone makes it out alive, but I think the addition of a death of a character is important. Life doesn’t happen without death and pain and heartbreak, and it’s important that authors make that a part of their stories. No one in life gets by unscathed.

Cremer ended it the best way she could. It’s not ideal by any stretch, but if you’ve stuck with the series and enjoy it, the ending will absolutely satisfy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.