Monday, December 26, 2011

Shattered Dreams (Midnight Dragonfly #1) by Ellie James: review

Goodreads rating: 3.58
Paperback, 352 pages
Published December 6th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin
Sixteen-year-old Trinity Monsour wants nothing more than to live a normal life. But that isn’t as easy as it seems. Trinity is different. She is special. She sees visions, and for those she’s seen, it’s already too late.
Trinity arrives on her aunt’s doorstep in New Orleans with virtually no knowledge of her mysterious heritage. She begins settling into life at a new school and even starts making friends. But all too quickly her dreams accelerate; twisted, terrifying visions of a girl locked in a dark room. And when the head cheerleader, Jessica, goes missing, Trinity knows she has no choice but to step forward with what she’s seen.
But people believe that Trinity has information about Jessica’s disappearance not because of a dream, but because she is involved. She is kind-of dating Jessica’s ex-boyfriend, Chase, and Jessica did pull a nasty prank on Trinity. Revenge seems like the likeliest scenario.
Nothing prepares Trinity for the dark odyssey that ensues while searching for Jessica, including the surprising romance she finds with Chase, or the shocking truths she learns, not just about the girl who has gone missing, but the past that has been hidden from her. 



2.5/5

I honestly can't remember the last time I gave less than a 3 for a book. But there's a reason. It looks promising right? Not so much. The story idea was actually pretty great, but it was so poorly executed that I couldn't get past the botched writing style. SO frustrating!

First, what I liked: The setting. It took place in New Orleans and while I've never been there, I love the rich history. This author did a pretty good job of embodying that culture and it really added mystery to the story. Also there was a good amount of mystery, and I'm still not sure what Trin is. Despite, my low rating, if I can get a review copy of the second in the series, I will likely read it, if only in the hope that the writing will get better. My favorite character was Dylan. Chase, Trin's supposed boyfriend-ish person, was really annoying, and her relationship with Dylan is one I was hoping for, where he's being distant yet caring with her. He was the only character I didn't hate.

What I didn't like: I didn't know what was going on for most of the novel. In one paragraph we'd be in one place, and the next we'd be in another place with no explanation, and all of a sudden something crazy would happen and I'd be totally lost. Everything was totally random, including the writing. It's like everything was a surprise to Trin, and really, you can only have so many surprises in a book. And to be honest I wasn't all that surprised. And Chase was sooooooo annoying. With everything that happened, his go-to answer was "Jesus". Do you not have any other words in your vocabulary when it comes to expressing surprise or pain or any other emotion ever?

What was the most frustrating is that there were moments of pure genius; an insightful phrase, amazing imagery. And then it went back to being the random and botched writing, and it drove me insane! If it was consistently bad, then I probably wouldn't have finished it. But there were moments where I thought it was going to get better, and then James just had to go and prove me wrong.

2 comments:

  1. Well I guess it's a good thing this one expired on my net galley before I had a chance to read it lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was definitely let down by this one....

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.