Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Mephisto Covenant (The Mephisto Covenant #1) by Trinity Faegan: review

Goodreads rating: 3.74
Hardcover, 439 pages
Published September 27th 2011 by EgmontUSA
Characters: Jax, Sasha Annenkova, Eryx

Sasha is desperate to find out who murdered her father. When getting the answer means pledging her soul to Eryx, she unlocks a secret that puts her in grave danger—she is an Anabo, a daughter of Eve, and Eryx’s biggest threat.

A son of Hell, immortal, and bound to Earth forever, Jax looks for redemption in the Mephisto Covenant—God’s promise he will find peace in the love of an Anabo. After a thousand years, he’s finally found the girl he’s been searching for: Sasha.

With the threat of Eryx always looming, Jax knows he has to keep Sasha safe and win her over.  But can he? Will Sasha love him and give up her mortal life?

4/5
  
I'm trying to remember the exact details of this one. I actually really liked it. The only thing you have to think about while reading The Mephisto Covenant is to suspend your disbelief. I know I'm already saying this to people who read YA and already know how to suspend their disbelief, because you do it every time you pick up a book. There are just some parts in this one where I had to tell myself to just go with the flow. The entire beginning is an example of that. Throughout the entire novel, Sasha is questioning most everything that's going on. She wants to understand. But in the very beginning, when Ajax (AKA Jax) shows up to save her from the Eryx puppets, she doesn't really wonder how he froze time or who they are and why they act like she's some kind of goddess. Nothing, not even a hint of suspicion. She's curious, but not suspicious. And that, to me, is suspicious.

That's really the only bad thing I can say about this one. Sasha gets a pretty bad lot in life all of a sudden: her mother is deported back to Russia, she moves in with an aunt and uncle she never knew existed, and her aunt is a total and complete beotch! Her uncle doesn't stand up to his wife, besides threatening to make some sort of phone call when she gets really out of control. It turns out that both the aunt and one of the sons are shadowed, one of Eryx's army recruits. And they're trying to get Sasha to join. But it turns out that Sasha is now living in the same area in Colorado as the loveable, swoon-worthy Jax. Again, suspending disbelief. 

Jax and Sasha's budding romance is really sweet. You can tell that he's totally into her, and despite the fact that he "doesn't know very much about wooing ", he does a pretty dang good job. I'd go out with Jax if I wasn't madly in love already! Sasha annoyed me at times, but it's because she's painted as Ms. Goody-two-shoes, but she's really very human. And completely in love with him, even though she won't admit it until later. I will warn you now, that because of some scenes later in the book, this is not meant for younger teenagers. It was refreshing that the author didn't cut that much out of certain parts and I blushingly have the urge to read them again. But be warned, is all I'm saying. It's a very short but important part.

I can't wait to see where this series is going. And more than anything else, I can't wait to see more of Jax and Sasha. They're good together, and I hope they become some sort of crime-fighting team. If you're into random angel mythology and a growing romance, pick this one up!

6 comments:

  1. OKay well I'm really glad you enjoyed this one, because I couldn't STAND it! LOL! I actually ended up not even finishing it because I was so bored :P

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I,m really curious about this one now! Not sure how bad I can just go with the flow but you still make me want to read it and see what it,s all about. Great review Nicole!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't even heard of this one but glad for this post because I will be getting it now! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I think I might give this one a pass. I'm fairly certain Sasha would drive me insane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm.... this one has been on my TBR list for quite awhile. I think I'll borrow it from someone before running out and buying it. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this book but it looks really interesting. I'm really intrigued with suspending disbelief it makes me think this has a completely fresh take on Angel Mythology.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.