Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Legend (Legend #1) by Marie Lu: review

Goodreads rating: 4.12
Hardcover, 305 pages
Published November 29th 2011 by Putnam Juvenile (first published November 1st 2011)
Series: Legend #1
Characters: Tess, June, Day
Setting: Los Angeles, California, Republic of America, 2130
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

4/5
  
I wasn't sure what to think going into Legend. Before I read this, the author's launch party was literally an hour away from my house! But it was my boyfriend's birthday, and I couldn't ditch him. Luckily, my amazing Fiction teacher lives right near the bookstore, and so I asked her to pick me up a signed copy, and she did! Then, a week later, I won an ARC of Legend, which I read instead of the signed copy because my parents commandeered the other one for Christmas. So this review comes to you by sheer luck. 

If you've been following my IMM's, you know that I've been getting into dystopians. I feel like everyone is jumping off this bandwagon now, but lucky for you I'm just starting my journey! But I do see the argument that people are giving, where every dystopian is the same. There's never a love triangle in a dystopian, and the only book that really comes close is Adam and Warren in Shatter Me. But I liked this love story. It's not exactly forbidden, only to June. I also loved the multiple POV's. Day fell in love way before June did, which I thought was sweet. 

I like the concept of this society. It's not about love or mates or anything involved with procreating. It's about a disease. A disease that the government has vaccines for, but only for people that are high up in government and those that can afford it. Day belongs to a family that could never afford the treatment. He's been helping them out secretly (they think he's dead), but then his family's home gets a red X over it, and his brother Eden is sick. What is Day willing to do to save his brother. And before he knows it, he's launched himself into a lot of political trouble, and he's fallen in love with the girl that wants him dead.

June assumed her brother would come back from a routine check at the hospital. But somehow, he gets killed. And all evidence leads to Day, a notorious criminal in the Republic. I liked June, she's one of my favorite heroines of this year. She's very strong, and stubborn, but she's not like her superiors. She still has a heart. Thomas disappointed me, because of who he became after what happened to June's brother. But I really think June grew throughout this book, despite how short it is. I wonder where the plot will go from here. And where Day and June will go from here. There are so many books that I'm waiting for the sequel, it's kind of heart-wrenching. It can't be healthy.

Definitely pick up a copy of Legend! If you want to add another great dystopian to your collection, read this!

4 comments:

  1. I started reading this when I got it through an ARC tour, so I had a limited amount of time to read it. I wasn't getting into it so I sent it on before even getting 50 pages in. I think I'd like to give it another try though eventually, because I love dystopians, and you've pointed out some good things about the book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've love dystopians since I read The Giver years and years ago. I've had it on my wishlist since I read the blurb. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this story. I thought that Lu did an incredible job with the alternating POVs and I thought it was a very well built up love story and it all seems realistic. I can't wait until Prodigy comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love dystopians and this one sounds so good to me! I'm glad to read that you liked it! Thanks for your comments and the great info! I can't wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.