Tuesday, December 20, 2011

In My Mailbox (20)

As I'm away on vacation right now, I took these pictures before I left my house last Saturday. I'm expecting at least one package at my house, and may feature that next week if it gets there before my parents leave to come out. It's an awesome one, so *crossing fingers*

In My Mailbox is a meme hosted by Kristi over at The Story Siren, where you create a post of the books you either received in the mail, bought at a bookstore, or borrowed from the library.


 NOTE: If you're unfamiliar with how I do things with my IMM, I basically give a little back story to the books I have pictured. Also, if there are ARC's, I'll give a synopsis and date published.

BOUGHT


~Wake and Fade (Dream Catcher #1, 2) by Lisa McMann: So I bought Gone, the final book in this series, from one of the Borders that was closing on the very last day. It's hard to pass up when it's 90% off! Thankfully, I found these two in Barnes & Noble's online bargain section, so I bought them. I'm interested to start this series. I may be reviewing these.

~Evercrossed (Kissed by an Angel #4) by Elizabeth Chandler: I remember loving this series in my early high school years and hating that in ended. But to be honest, I can't see it going any farther than where the trilogy ended. The premise for this one sounds strange, but I'm willing to give it a go. I may be reviewing this one.

~The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman: I'm about to make a confession, so hopefully you won't hate me for it. I've never read a book by Neil Gaiman *prepares self for death by virtual rotted vegetables*. I've heard he's really amazing and I hear all these great authors talk about him, but I've never felt inclined to pick one up until I saw it in the B & N online bargain bin. I'm hoping he's as good as everyone claims!

~Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter #2) by J.K. Rowling: Yes, I've already read this series. If you haven't, I'm liable to smack you. The only problem is that I've been unable to find my copy of The Chamber of Secrets, so I found it for bargain price and bought it! I really want to re-read this series...

~The Red Pyramid (Cane Chronicles #1) by Rick Riordan: I loved his Percy Jackson series, and seeing this one on the bargain page as well, I decided to get it! I don't know very much about Egyptian mythology, so I'm interested to see what Riordan can come up with. I may be reviewing this one.

FREE FOR KINDLE


~A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens: So after reading Clockwork Prince, I was convinced to read this one. It's a classic that I know I should have read a long time ago, but now I have a good reason. I think Cassie Clare is sending subliminal messages to her readers. Well, Cassie, it worked!

WON


~Unlovable (Port Fare #1) by Sherry Gammon: I won this over at Fictional Distraction, so a special thanks to Carina for hosting the giveaway. Also a special thanks to Sherry, who sent it out and even signed it!


I really like the cover and it looks promising! I may be review this one.

FOR REVIEW


~Hushed by Kelly York: I've been requesting this from NetGalley and it finally got approved! I've been hearing mixed reviews and I think it's an LGBT YA novel (which I've never read) so I'm interested to start it. I will be reviewing this one.


~Revealing Eden (Save the Pearls #1) by Victoria Foyt: Another title from NetGalley. It sounded interesting so I requested it. It's a dystopian, which seems to be the thing with me lately. Check out the synopsis, it sounds pretty crazy. I will be reviewing this one.

 PUBLICATION DATE: January 10th, 2012
Eden Newman must mate before her 18th birthday in six months or she'll be left outside to die in a burning world. But who will pick up her mate-option when she's cursed with white skin and a tragically low mate-rate of 15%? In a post-apocalyptic, totalitarian, underground world where class and beauty are defined by resistance to an overheated environment, Eden's coloring brands her as a member of the lowest class, a weak and ugly Pearl. If only she can mate with a dark-skinned Coal from the ruling class, she'll be safe. Just maybe one Coal sees the Real Eden and will be her salvation her co-worker Jamal has begun secretly dating her. But when Eden unwittingly compromises her father's secret biological experiment, she finds herself in the eye of a storm and thrown into the last area of rainforest, a strange and dangerous land. Eden must fight to save her father, who may be humanity's last hope, while standing up to a powerful beast-man she believes is her enemy, despite her overwhelming attraction. Eden must change to survive but only if she can redefine her ideas of beauty and of love, along with a little help from her "adopted aunt" Emily Dickinson.


~Pure (Pure #1) by Julianna Baggott: The cover really drew me in first. And what do you know, another dystopian! I have a serious problem, people. It's not good! I will be reviewing this one.

PUBLICATION DATE: February 8th, 2012
We know you are here, our brothers and sisters . . .
Pressia barely remembers the Detonations or much about life during the Before. In her sleeping cabinet behind the rubble of an old barbershop where she lives with her grandfather, she thinks about what is lost-how the world went from amusement parks, movie theaters, birthday parties, fathers and mothers . . . to ash and dust, scars, permanent burns, and fused, damaged bodies. And now, at an age when everyone is required to turn themselves over to the militia to either be trained as a soldier or, if they are too damaged and weak, to be used as live targets, Pressia can no longer pretend to be small. Pressia is on the run.

Burn a Pure and Breathe the Ash . . .
There are those who escaped the apocalypse unmarked. Pures. They are tucked safely inside the Dome that protects their healthy, superior bodies. Yet Partridge, whose father is one of the most influential men in the Dome, feels isolated and lonely. Different. He thinks about loss-maybe just because his family is broken; his father is emotionally distant; his brother killed himself; and his mother never made it inside their shelter. Or maybe it's his claustrophobia: his feeling that this Dome has become a swaddling of intensely rigid order. So when a slipped phrase suggests his mother might still be alive, Partridge risks his life to leave the Dome to find her.

When Pressia meets Partridge, their worlds shatter all over again.

 What did you get in your mailbox? Have you read any of these? Let me know in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome batch of books!!! You'll have to let me know how Hushed is, I've been thinking about requesting it but I haven't yet LoL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little apprehensive to start it but hopefully it's as good as everyone says

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome books! And I hope you enjoy HUSHED. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.