Tuesday, December 6, 2011

In My Mailbox (18)

In My Mailbox is a meme hosted by Kristi over at The Story Siren, where you create a post of the books you either received in the mail, bought at a bookstore, or borrowed from the library. If you'd like to know my thoughts about IMM, check out the link near the top of my blog called In My Mailbox. Simple, right? Anyway, onto the books!


NOTE: If you're unfamiliar with how I do things with my IMM, I basically give a little back story to the books I have pictured. Also, if there are ARC's, I'll give a synopsis and date published.


 WON

~If I Die (Soul Screamers #5) by Rachel Vincent: I would have had my hands on a copy of this book earlier, but I won two copies from the Kismet Book tour, and so I had to wait. Not that I'm complaining, because not only did I get these for free, but there's TWO of them (yes, I know, an astute observation) and so you know what that means! I'll be giving one away! Whoot! I will definitely be reviewing this one. Also, thanks to Lisa Wray and Natashya Wilson at HarlequinTeen for making sure these got to me, eventually.

BOUGHT 
~Legend (Legend #1) by Marie Lu: Her launch party was very close to me, but it was my boyfriend's birthday so I couldn't make it. BUT, being the quick thinker that I am, I remembered that my Fiction teacher lives down by the bookstore and so I asked her to pick up a personalized signed copy! As it turns out her daughter was working the event, so it all worked out. I've heard great things about this one, and dystopians is totally starting to be my thing now... which kind of scares me... I will be reviewing this one.

GIFTED

~Hallowed (Unearthly #2) by Cynthia Hand: A very special thank you to Anna @ Literary Explorer for sending me a copy of this book. Ever since I interviewed the author I've been dying to read Hallowed (mostly because there's more Christian, and I am totally Team Christian!). I'm saving this until just after the new year starts so that I can use it for my Harper Imprint Challenge AND my SRC!

PUBLICATION DATE: January 17th, 2012

For months part-angel Clara Gardner trained to face the raging forest fire from her visions and rescue the alluring and mysterious Christian Prescott from the blaze. But nothing could prepare her for the fateful decisions she would be forced to make that day, or the startling revelation that her purpose—the task she was put on earth to accomplish—is not as straightforward as she thought. Now, torn between her increasingly complicated feelings for Christian and her love for her boyfriend, Tucker, Clara struggles to make sense of what she was supposed to do the day of the fire. And, as she is drawn further into the world of part angels and the growing conflict between White Wings and Black Wings, Clara learns of the terrifying new reality that she must face: Someone close to her will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.

Described by Richelle Mead as “utterly captivating,” Unearthly received outstanding reviews, garnered accolades from New York Times bestselling authors, and was named an Indie Next Pick. In this heart-wrenching sequel, Cynthia Hand expertly captures the all-consuming joy of first love—and the agony of loss. This beautifully woven tale will appeal to fans of Lauren Kate, Becca Fitzpatrick, and Aprilynne Pike.

~Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink book plates: So I didn't actually win these, but I sent the author an e-mail requesting them (she had a special Thanksgiving thing going on), and she sent them right to me! I have mine already pasted onto the first two, and the third one pictured will go on the 3rd one which is currently on my Wishlist... hint hint.


FREE FOR KINDLE


~Raven by Suzy Turner: I saw on the author's twitter that it had gotten to the Amazon Kindle Top 100, so of course I just had to get it. It sounds very interesting.


~Marked (Soul Guardians #1) by Kim Richardson: This cover is awesome! And I think I've been wanting to read this one for a while, but never got around to buying it. I may be reviewing this one.


~Intuition by J. Meyers: Apparently, this is a bonus INTANGIBLE short story, which I have not yet read. But the cover really drew my attention, as well as the title.


~The Pearl Savage (Savage #1) by Tamara Rose Blodgett: The title really caught my eye. The cover is a little off for me, but when I read post-apocalyptic, I was like, "sold!"

FOR REVIEW


~Hunted by Cheryl Rainfield: I'm falling in love with dystopians and this one sounds really great. I'll be posting about this later with lots of extras mentioned, a book trailer, and a video of what inspired the author to write Hunted. I will be reviewing this one.

PUBLICATION DATE: December 15th (US) and January (CA)

Caitlyn, a telepath, lives in a world where all paranormal talents are illegal. She is on the run from government ParaTroopers. When Caitlyn falls for Alex, a Normal, and discovers dangerous renegade Paranormals, she must choose between staying in hiding to protect herself or taking a stand to save the world.


~Halflings (Halflings #1) by Heather Burch: This one also sounds really great! Another crazy love triangle. Thanks to NetGalley! I will be reviewing this one.

PUBLICATION DATE: February 1st, 2012

After being inexplicably targeted by an evil intent on harming her at any cost, seventeen-year-old Nikki finds herself under the watchful guardianship of three mysterious young men who call themselves halflings. Sworn to defend her, misfits Mace, Raven, and Vine battle to keep Nikki safe while hiding their deepest secret—and the wings that come with.

A growing attraction between Nikki and two of her protectors presents a whole other danger. While she risks a broken heart, Mace and Raven could lose everything, including their souls. As the mysteries behind the boys’ powers, as well as her role in a scientist’s dark plan, unfold, Nikki is faced with choices that will affect the future of an entire race of heavenly beings, as well as the precarious equilibrium of the earthly world.


Tune in next week for In My Mailbox (19)! What did you get in your mailbox? Leave a link below!

9 comments:

  1. *gasp!*

    Best mailbox ever!
    I've heard such good things about Legend, and I'm DESPERATE to read the Soul Screamers series! I have the first book waiting for Kindle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely start on the Soul Screamers! Once you start you won't be able to stop! I'm hoping Legend is as good as everyone is saying

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome haul this week, I loved Hallowed and there is TONS of Christian!! Rachel Vincent's series looks awesome, cant wait to read the beginning of it:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaaayyy Hallowed!!! :)) So glad it made it to you! Looks so nice in your pile ;) I think Raven was the first book I received from a publisher, and I hate to say it wasn't very good... hopefully you'll enjoy it more than I did!

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda, the Soul Screamer's is awesome, start it soooon :)

    Anna, that's slightly disappointing but I'm not really planning on reading it all that soon... usually the free kindle books are a last resort kind of thing when I have nothing else to read lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Signed books are always always the best! Lucky you! And two copies of one title - sounds like a giveaway indeed.

    I've heard quite a lot about Marie Lu's Legend - I have a feeling you'd enjoy it and breeze through it. You do have a number of titles here. Enjoy them!

    here's my IMM:
    http://gatheringbooks.wordpress.com/2011/12/11/imm-book-bargains-in-singapore/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is an amazing mailbox! Too bad you couldn't make it to the Legend review but I'm glad you were still able to get your book signed! Happy reading!!

    Andrea
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the signatures Nicole! I really enjoyed Hallowed and I REALLLY have to star the If I Die series, hhuh!? o_O

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  9. Giselle, I can't wait to start Hallowed, but I think I'm going to wait to use it for my 2012 Harper Imprint Challenge... not sure I can hold out that long lol seriously start the Soul Screamer's series!!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.