Thursday, December 1, 2011

Follow Friday (8)

Follow Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read.

 

Question: What is your biggest pet peeve when it comes to books? Maybe you don't like love triangles or thin plots? Tell us about it! 

 

Bad writing. I know, it's the obvious choice and way too broad, so let me tell you what I mean: 

  • I don't like the main protagonist. Whether they're too full of themselves, too sulky, or too mean, I can't get into a book if I don't think the protagonist is relatable, or really I just don't like them.

  • The dialogue is beyond awkward. Things that these characters say would never be said in real life. Authors, read your dialogue out loud. If you make yourself laugh or scoff at the absurdity of your words, you should probably change it.

  •  The plot gets out of control. There's a point where only so many crazy things can happen to one character in one book. I understand trying to keep the reader interested, but you have to know when the plot needs to cool down.

  • I don't like the love interest. I'm all about the romance. Action is great, but it's the romance that keeps me buying YA books. If I don't like the guy, we have a problem.

10 comments:

  1. I hate it too when everything is happening all at once.

    New follower!

    Happy Friday!
    Here's my Follow Friday Post. Click, click, click!
    Gratitude Giveaway: Winner's Choice of Book from Book Depository at The Fairytale Nerd.
    Cerebrate: Let me know what you think about Love Triangles in Books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I talked about the romance too hahaha. I can't stand when there's so much insta-love and the love interest is just crap. GETS ME EVERY TIME!

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping through. I don't mind an arrogant or unlikable main character if they're presented in such a way that I understand why they're like that. But that's hard to do well.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Happy follow Friday. I'm a new follower.

    http://readinginthemountains.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. you're right sometimes there is just too much going on.

    new follower

    -Amanda P
    Paranormal Romance
    Books, Shopping & Rock N' Roll

    ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bad dialogue is so hard to read. How can anyone swoon over that stuff? If some guy said some of the things Edward said to Bella, I would walk away and never return. New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree about the plot being out of control--sometimes, I want to ask the author if he/she doesn't like the main character because of all the bizarre things that happen to the character :) It's like, give me a break, I read to escape but this is too much to believe!

    Have a great weekend!

    new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing kills a book for me like bad writing. Some people are just name made to be authors...

    I'm a new follower. :)

    Holiday Foreplay Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love this post! :)
    i don't like it when the author gives us TOO MANY DETAILS about things that are completely unimportant... it's like my brain only has so much room to process and hold new information, so if it's not really relevant to the story, or SUPER interesting- it needs to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. love this! especially if the "If I don't like the guy we have a problem" lOL

    New follower :D
    http://thebookbluff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.