Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Faerie Ring (The Faerie Ring #1) by Kiki Hamliton: review

Goodreads rating: 4.07
Hardcover, 352 pages
Published September 27th 2011 by Tor Teen / Macmillan

ISBN: 0765327228 (ISBN13: 9780765327222)
Setting: London, England, 1871
Debut novelist Kiki Hamilton takes readers from the gritty slums and glittering ballrooms of Victorian London to the beguiling but menacing Otherworld of the Fey in this spellbinding tale of romance, suspense, and danger. 
The year is 1871, and Tiki has been making a home for herself and her family of orphans in a deserted hideaway adjoining Charing Cross Station in central London. Their only means of survival is by picking pockets. One December night, Tiki steals a ring, and sets off a chain of events that could lead to all-out war with the Fey. For the ring belongs to Queen Victoria, and it binds the rulers of England and the realm of Faerie to peace. With the ring missing, a rebel group of faeries hopes to break the treaty with dark magic and blood—Tiki’s blood.
Unbeknownst to Tiki, she is being watched—and protected—by Rieker, a fellow thief who suspects she is involved in the disappearance of the ring. Rieker has secrets of his own, and Tiki is not all that she appears to be. Her very existence haunts Prince Leopold, the Queen’s son, who is driven to know more about the mysterious mark that encircles her wrist.
Prince, pauper, and thief—all must work together to secure the treaty… 
5/5

This book absolutely met my expectations! I've only read great reviews and it didn't disappoint. Tiki (while I was a little put-off by the name) is a strong heroine and is very sure ans stubborn in her beliefs. She's so likeable because she has such a kind heart, but comes from a past of great tragedy.

I am now in love with steam punk. When I read Clockwork Angel, I didn't know that's what it was, I was just excited for something else from Cassandra Clare. When I realized that's what I had fallen in love with, I wanted more! And this is another one of those books. I'm not as in love with it as The Infernal Devices (not much can compare to it), but I love it none-the-less. The integration of fey mythology was the icing on the cake, and really brought the story together.

When the book first started, I felt like the author was trying to hard to integrate the time period. It should have flowed a little more, and it felt like she was trying to hard. I think I literally groaned out loud, praying it wasn't going to be like this the whole time. But once Hamilton got into a rhythm, you could almost believe it had been written back then.

I'm glad it wasn't all about the romance between Tiki and Rieker. Tiki was focused on her "family" and the need for them to steal money and food to survive. She couldn't trust anyone, but when she was forced to trust Rieker, she realized how much she meant to him, and how much he meant to her. A few things about the story as a whole were predictable, but what book isn't at least a little predictable.

I can't wait for the next one! If you haven't gotten your hands on The Faerie Ring, do it now!! Also, look out for me interview with the author tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad this is a good one!! I've been wanting to read it for a long time now, and I've heard so many good things! I'll have to add it to my wishlist :))

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! Also, I'm posting up an interview with her probably tomorrow, so check that out too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review Nicole! I Still have to pick this one up! It sounds amazing I love the premise and the way you describe the romance. I hate when it takes over a great plot line!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giselle, pick it up soon!! It was better than I thought it'd be

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.