Monday, December 12, 2011

Crave (The Clann #1) by Melissa Darnell: review

Goodreads rating: 3.67
Paperback, 416 pages
Published October 25th 2011 by Harlequin Teen
Series: The Clann #1
Savannah Colbert has never known why she's so hated by the kids of the Clann. Nor can she deny her instinct to get close to Clann golden boy Tristan Coleman. Especially when she recovers from a strange illness and the attraction becomes nearly irresistible. It's as if he's a magnet, pulling her gaze, her thoughts, even her dreams. Her family has warned her to have nothing to do with him, or any members of the Clann. But when Tristan is suddenly everywhere she goes, Savannah fears she's destined to fail.For years, Tristan has been forbidden to even speak to Savannah Colbert. Then Savannah disappears from school for a week and comes back…different, and suddenly he can't stay away. Boys seem intoxicated just from looking at her. His own family becomes stricter than ever. And Tristan has to fight his own urge to protect her, to be near her no matter the consequences….


3.5/5


I have one word to describe this book: pandering. I mean, really, the same things happened over and over, especially with Tristan and Sav. As I'm writing my book, I like everything that happens to have a purpose. In this book, many of the main plot points were for nothing. That guy that Sav started going out with (Greg or something) was totally pointless except to take up more page space. I thought maybe he was from the Clann or the vampire people and would get Sav into some big trouble. But he was nothing. Also, Sav kind of made me mad. I'm not sure what it is, but there were many moments where I simply didn't like her. I will give the author credit though; I always liked Tristan. I'm not in love with him, but he was easy to like with how he secretly protected Sav and tried so hard to be with her. He frustrated me, but in a good way. Boys are lost enough as it is, but when thrown into this supernatural world, it gets much harder.

But I just couldn't bring myself to hate it either. Tristan is sweet, and his and Sav's story is heartbreaking. I liked the melding of witches and vampires, though I was a little angry when the author called Sav a dhampir. Now, if Sav actually were half human half vampire, I could see it being justified. But she's half witch half vampire. And whenever I hear the word dhampir, I think Vampire Academy, and this book is nowhere near the awesomeness of that series. But honestly, I really wanted to like this book. I liked the cover, despite how creepy the girl looks. I want to see what happens next, but I'm not dying to see what happens next. I'm kind of over vampires for the moment, which is why I'm glad the next in the series, Covet, doesn't come out until next year. I need to distance myself from this series, because I know Sav will just piss me off again real quickly, while Tristan steals my heart.

3 comments:

  1. I have this one from Netgalley but I'm not excited to read it. I've heard way too many bad things about it :/ Oh well... I'm sure I'll read it eventually LOL

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it was alright... nothing to get too excited about :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review Nicole. Everyone seems to just be Meh about this one I don't plan on reading it anymore haha.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.