Monday, December 12, 2011

Clockwork Prince (Infernal Devices #2) by Cassandra Clare: review

Goodreads rating: 4.58
Hardcover, 502 pages
Published December 6th 2011 by Margaret K. McElderry Books
Setting: London, England, 1878 (United Kingdom)
In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa's powers for his own dark ends. With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister's war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move and that one of their own has betrayed them.
Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will; the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?
As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.
 

5/5

Usually, I sit on books for a while, letting it all sink in, but I can't wait. I need to get this out. First off, as always Cassandra Clare is a genius. Clockwork Prince didn't have nearly as many twists and turns as Clockwork Angel did, but I still found myself slightly surprised about Jessamine, as well as the truth about where Nate comes from. I was even more surprised to find out the reason Will was being the way he was to Tessa, and pushing everyone away. But as much as I wish I could say that Clockwork Prince was a satisfying sequel, I just can't. It wasn't. I am honestly sick to my stomach when I think about the ending. I know it's far from over, but nothing was what I had hoped would come from Clockwork Prince. I'm hoping Clockwork Princess will turn out better in my favor.

Let me just make one thing clear: Of course I loved Clockwork Prince! I am absolutely enthralled by this series, maybe even more so than The Mortal Instruments. No matter what series we find Magnus in, he will always be one of my favorite characters, and he didn't disappoint! I'm so glad he got a bigger part in this one. There's nowhere I'd rather live than in Cassie's Shadowhunter world. My problem, is the love triangle. Some authors give the other guy barely a fighting chance in it (like Simon in The Mortal Instruments), but Cassie kills me by presenting good arguments for both. Why do I feel sick to my stomach? Because I am TEAM WILL. This book didn't change my mind about how Tessa and Will should be together, but I can see how the people that are Team Jem would pick him. He's sweet and caring and would do anything for Tessa. But in the course of this book, something changes in Will, and he can now be sweet and kind, the man Tessa always hoped he'd be. But after what happens, I can only imagine how Will's heart must harden, despite telling us that he understands. Tessa finds out in this one that she truly loves them both, but it almost seemed to me that she wants to be with Jem because she pities him, she just doesn't know it.Then again, I may be biased.

I could talk about the triangle for hours, but let's talk about some other relationships. I want to start with Sophie and Gideon Lightwood. I did not see that one coming, especially since Gideon was described as being worse than his brother, though I can't see how. And I was so happy for Soph, that she found a way to get over Jem, and realize that she wasn't unsightly to other men because of her scar. Charlotte and Henry were another pleasant surprise. Yes, they're already married, but it turns out that they've never really known each other, and they found out some surprising things about how they truly felt about one another. One of the bright points of the novel. I suppose you could say the Lightwoods were full of surprises in this one. I can't wait to see what happens next! It's going to be so hard waiting for next December to see Tessa and my Will again. And yes, even Jem.

Dear Cassandra Clare, you have ripped my heart out, along with Will's. Please do us the kind service of putting them back together in the final Infernal Devices. That is all.

14 comments:

  1. I keep seeing Clockwork Angel and Prince around but never picked it up. Now you have me completely SOLD and have a new book to read. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww awesome!! :) This series is one of my favorites ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is even better than the first! LOVE LOVE LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heard so many great things about this series. I have to start this series soon because now I feel like I'm missing out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh, I haven't read this one yet. I suspect I would be a team Jem person, because I would like to see Tessa make a different choice than Clary did. Does the girl always have to go for the same type of guy?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another unique quality of Cassie's writing is her ability to build a character. Her novels are all in 3rd person and are deeply character driven. Every character is distinctly different, and they seem to come to life right before your eyes. After reading this, I feel like I genuinely know and have a substantial insight into what makes each character tick. (ha!) We find out more about every single character, and even get to see a different side of Magnus that makes me only love him more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frances Antonette JaoMarch 28, 2012 at 2:54 AM

    AWW! I want to read this more than ever because of you. :(( Hoping to grab a copy soon! I totally loved The Clockwork Angel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was one of the best love triangles I have read. By the end of it, I am so sad for all 3 characters! I was Team Will before this book, but I am honestly Team Jem! I just don't see how Cassandra Clare will pull off a happy ending in this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this love triangle, but Jem just doesn't cut it for me. She was always thinking about Will and then settles for Jem because Will doesn't believe he can be with her. It's kinda sad to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is definitely on my TBR list. I need to read Clockwork Angel first though!! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is a book that i cant wait to read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm actually on Team Jem, but after the whole Tessa-broke-Will's-heart-into-pieces thing, I guess I'm having the soft spot for Will, I mean, who wouldn't? You;d just pity the guy! And I also agree with you with the whole not-THAT-satisfied read, but I'm really excited about Clockwork Princess, November is just too far away!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cried several times while reading this book, want to read more about Tess, Will and James. Also bought paper edition, for collectibles.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.