Thursday, December 8, 2011

Blood Red Road (Dustlands #1) by Moira Young: review

Goodreads rating: 4.15
Hardcover, 459 pages
Published June 7th 2011 by Margaret K. McElderry

Series: Dustlands #1
Characters: Jack, Saba
Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back. Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.
Blood Red Road has a searing pace, a poetically minimal writing style, violent action, and an epic love story. Moira Young is one of the most promising and startling new voices in teen fiction.
 
 5/5

Ever read a book after you got it signed by the author? That happened to me with this one. I went to a signing with Moira Young, Becca Fitzpatrick, and Elizabeth Miles. I'd already read books 1 and 2 from Becca, and I started the first chapters of the other books. I haven't picked up Fury again yet, but let me just say that the first part of Blood Red Road gives it no justice. And I wish I had read Blood Red Road before meeting her, because I certainly would have been stammering a lot more.

I've been seriously getting into dystopians lately. Most of them have just been so good recently, and Blood Red Road is in the running as one of my favorite dystopians of the year! I think what turn a lot of people off is the way it's written. It's like Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer, in that you're inside their head and they have a totally different way of speaking. This was a big risk for Young to take, especially since she's aiming for young adult readers. But to be honest, this book isn't for the faint of heart. Trudge through the wording and no quotations (which actually forces you to read the whole book, *gasp*), and soon you'll barely even notice it. Blood Red Road stays with you long after you're finished.

The relationships were what were really interesting to me. Saba's infatuation with her brother bordered on creepy obsession. I remember Moira explaining though that it was total and complete hero worship. Lugh is the older twin of the two of them: the nicer one, the better-looking one, light to Saba's dark both physically and temperamentally. So when Lugh gets kidnapped by strange men clothed in red and riding in on horses, Saba promises to find him. One problem: her Pa's dead, and that leaves her to take care of Emmi, her sister that killed her mother in childbirth. Needless to say, she doesn't like her very much. But Emmi makes a point of being just as stubborn as Saba, and the two of them end up being kidnapped to a whole other world. And that is where Saba meets Jack.

Let's just say, you're going to like Jack.

I can't wait to see where this all is going in Rebel Heart! I need this one, now!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I keep hearing how awesome this book is! It's also awesome that it got it signed!! I definitely have bumped it up my TBR list! Wonderful review Nicole! :D

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGGGG YESSSSS wasn't this one amazing?!?!?! I had the pleasure of meeting Moira Young and she's freakin HILARIOUS! I absolutely LOVED this book :) Jack is amazing :))))

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giselle, can't wait to see what you think of it!!

    Anna, it was way better than I was expecting! I met her too and she really is awesome, and I LOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEE Jack :DD

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.