Saturday, November 26, 2011

Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy #6) by Richelle Mead: review

Goodreads rating: 4.52
Hardcover, 594 pages
Published December 7th 2010 by Penguin Group (USA)
ISBN: 1595143068 (ISBN13: 9781595143068)
URL
Setting: Pennsylvania (United States)


The astonishing final novel in Richelle Mead's epic series!

Murder. Love. Jealousy. And the ultimate sacrifice. Now, with Rose on trial for her life and Lissa first in line for the Royal Throne, nothing will ever be the same between them.

5/5

What a wonderful ending to heart-pounding, gut-wrenching series. There were so many times that I wanted to put these books down because it was so frustratingly good! If you haven't read this series, you shouldn't be reading this review in the first place. And if that's the case, then go out and buy it. NOW! You won't regret a single penny you spend on this series. I want to leave, breathe, sleep, eat in this series. There are very few books that do that for me.

One thing I really liked about this series is that it wasn't one-dimensional. It's not paranormal vampire nonsense all the time; the characters face addiction and vices and true heartache that any young adult may have the opportunity to relate to. While Mead's writing isn't insanely thought-provoking, she comes up with some of the best jokes to hide Rose's pain. That's what all writers need to realize. Your books are nothing without the dialogue. You can use all fancy wording you want, but your reader needs human interaction. Mead does a fantastic job of this.

I must admit that I was reluctant to start this series. The whole entire series had been sitting on my shelf for half a year, and the first book probably over a year. For me, nothing could compare to Twilight in terms of a vampire book. I tried reading Claudia Gray's Evernight series, and came out liking it, but not loving it. I'd read another stand-alone vampire book called Sunshine by Robin McKinley and again I liked it but wasn't loving it. Then I cracked down and grudgingly read the first Vampire Academy, and immediately fell in love/lust with this series. It's nice to see a heroine that can kick butt, but still have those very girly teenage moments. And of course I'd heard of the hotness that is Dimitri, and he certainly lived up to his reputation. I want this to be a TV series, just to see who they'd cast as these two. They'd have to already have insane chemistry.

In Last Sacrifice, you knew Rose wasn't going to be kept down long, and Dimitri (with a little help from their friends) breaks her out of jail and they go on the run. I can already feel the sexual tension! But she's heartbroken by the fact that newly-returned Dimitri no longer loves her (which we all know is a lie, but Rose is a teenage girl and therefore believes him), and so she stays in a relationship with Adrian. As I said in my review for Spirit Bound, I love Adrian, but no one is more perfect for Rose than Dimitri is. And I mean, come on, they're not not going to get together (yes, I meant not not - silly double negative). And, not only do they have to clear Rose's name, but now Lissa is in the running to be queen!

This book just has so much action and adventure and sweet romance that it was almost too much (in a good way). Not everything ended on a good note (I guess that's why there's a companion series?), but I couldn't have imagined such a heart-wrenching series ending any other way. I can't wait to read Bloodlines now with the stoic Sydney! Should be interesting...

1 comment:

  1. This book was AWESOME!!! I loved the ending, it was perfect!!! This is definitely one of my favorite series!

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.