Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins: review

The Hunger Games - Goodreads rating: 4.54
Catching Fire - Goodreads rating: 4.39
Mockingjay - Goddreads rating: 4.07
FROM THE FIRST BOOK:
 
Hardcover, 374 pages
Published December 14th 2009 by Scholastic, Inc. (first published September 14th 2008)
ISBN: 0439023483 (ISBN13: 9780439023481)
 

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
 
 4/5
 
That rating is for the whole series. I've wrapped all my reviews of this series into one. I admit it's selfish and a bit lazy, but at least you were notified. What can I say? This series was truly all it was cracked up to be. It'd been sitting on my bookshelf for months, and I knew eventually I'd have to take a chance and read it.

I really enjoyed Hunger Games. I've heard it was sort of the start of all this dystopian melarchy in YA, and I can see why. The world is crafted with careful and precise hands, and the plot of the first book was simply flawless. Except for the whole corrupt society rebellion thing, this could have easily been shortened to a two-book series. I enjoyed Katniss and Gale and especially Peeta, and even Haymitch. As I said before, I was expecting no romance because I had read as much in other reviews, but in the later books it almost became all about the romance, not that I'm complaining. I must admit, I was on Peeta’s side the whole time. You could tell how much he loved her; much more than Gale ever could. And that's giving nothing away.

The second book, Catching Fire, got a little dicey for me because they had to go back into the games and only one victor would be decided this time. It turned out...interesting...in the end, but I just didn't feel like it met with my expectations of the first one.

And finally Mockingjay, the last book, was good...up until the ending. I'm really tempted to rant now, but I don't want to spoil it for you. Still, overall, it was an enjoyable, action-packed, heart wrenching series that I won't soon forget. No series can ever live up to it as a near-pioneer of dystopian YA.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! So so glad you liked them! For me, Catching Fire, good though it was, felt a wee bit like a recap of the the first?

    Agreed on the ending of Mockinjay, for an actual reason I thought was just silly, the other is the bleak tone... I thought the note the series ended on was really upsetting, sad and bleak, but in hindsight, I think it was necessary? I didn't like a few decisions certain characters made, but looking back, I can kind of understand that while I wouldn't have made them myself, and didn't like them, they kind of had to happen to avoid the past repeating itself? Ugh, trying to be cryptic so as not to spoil :D

    I enjoyed your review, and that you did them all at once. Don't think it's selfish at all ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Catching Fire did feel a little like that...

    Definitely a very bleak tone at the end. Maybe because they still live in a dystopian world? Not sure.

    And thanks, I appreciate the sentiment :D Now I don't feel so bad about putting them all into one!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.