Friday, November 25, 2011

Follow Friday (7)

Follow Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read.

 

Question: It's Thanksgiving Day in the U.S. so we want to know what you are Thankful for - blogging related of course! Who has helped you out along the way? What books are you thankful for reading?


Well, I already kind of made a blog post about this, but I'll say it again. I'm so thankful for all of my wonderful followers (even if you don't follow via GFC). I appreciate every single one of you and the blogging community is everything I could have ever hoped for. I've met some very sweet people along the way and I can't wait to trudge through the holiday season and the new year with you all. I'm also thankful for fellow book bloggers. The book blogging world wouldn't have been started without you pioneers, and I know that all of you that follow me do it out of the goodness of your heart. 

I also appreciate authors, who are the artists behind these amazing books we read, and the publishers who not only give these amazing books a home but also give us bloggers a chance to get the word out about them early. We know ARC's are in high demand now, and it's like Christmas every time we get one! The books, specifically that I'm thankful for are:

~Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling: I wouldn't be as into reading without this series. It also shows how research pays off. A good amount of the words and phrases and places in the books are made up, but their roots come from mythology. The most recent one I found was that the name Fenrir Greyback (emphasis on the first name) was a large dangerous wolf in Norse mythology. Make sense? I literally grew up with this series, and in a way I feel bad for the kids that didn't. I highly doubt I'd be as avid a reader as I am now.

~Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer: Reading this series made me realize that I wanted to write in the YA paranormal romance genre. I had been toying with the idea of a middle grade book for a long time, but it never seemed to fit. The novel I've finished is YA and not the middle grade one (which is one I'm going to have to fine-tune), and I know that reading this series not only sparked my interest in reading anything YA, but also to write for such an amazing genre.

~The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare: My writing wouldn't be nearly as good if not for Clare's writing and this amazing series. When I'm stuck on a part, I read her books and find myself immersed in her self-coveted writing style. This also really got me back into YA, possibly even more than Twilight. At the time, I figured if all YA books were this good, then I'd have to keep reading this genre to find out. Sadly, nothing has quite met its standards. Without this series, though, I'm not sure how far I'd be into finishing my books to be honest.

I am forever indebted to every one of these authors. They have inspired me and so many others in ways they can't even imagine.

8 comments:

  1. Hey!

    Definitely agree with the Harry Potter thing. It got me in to reading in a big way. Nice FF. Hope you have a great weekend.

    Here's my FF

    Amy@adumbrations (new follower)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your book choices, they are all fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping by to say have a great weekend!

    New Follower :)

    If you have a moment, please come and vote on your favorite YA Novel's Character:
    Here

    ReplyDelete
  4. You thought of some great people to thank. The Harry Potter series and Twilight definitely gave teens everywhere (and adults) the ability to discover how fun literature can be. Good luck on your writing. One day, your publishing company might be sending out ARCs of your novel:)

    -Jenna @ Fans of Fiction (old follower)
    My Follow Friday

    ReplyDelete
  5. It' a nice choice. I've not read the last one, but I have to do it.

    old follower

    here is mine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, good books to be thankful for!

    New Follower :)

    Cassy @ Late Night Reads

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are some seriously fab authors, and I definitely have to thank them for getting me so into the YA world :) Happy Friday<3

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  8. All three of these series definitely spurred on my love for reading; great choices! Hopping through!

    New follower :)

    Follow Me Friday @ Radiant Shadows

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.