Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #1) by Michelle Hodkin: review

Goodreads rating: 4.23
Hardcover, 452 pages
Published September 27th 2011 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
ISBN: 1442421762 (ISBN13: 9781442421769)
Series: Mara Dyer #1
Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
She's wrong.

 5/5

Just amazing! This totally met with my expectations, which have become increasingly high for whatever reason. An absolute must-read!

This book is so mysterious, and Mara Dyer is the main source of it. The uncertainty surrounding her friend's death in an old abandoned insane asylum (of which she survived) is enough to have you running in circles. You're constantly second-guessing the main character and the motives of the boy who she's caught the attention of. Right away, we're told that Noah Shaw isn't exactly the guy you date and take home to mother. Ironically, he does come over and meet Mara's mother and is pretty good friends with her brother (much to her dismay).

Noah is one of those love interests you're predisposed to love. Like Etienne from Anna and the French Kiss and Zach from the Shade series. I'm talking about accents people. I am a major sucker for accents and the fact that Noah Shaw is from London makes me already love him. The fact that he was so understanding about what Mara realizes she can do and annoyingly mysterious doesn't play as much of a part as you would think. Because he's from the UK, he's already a sweetheart.

On top of that, Noah and Mara are more alike than they think. As Mara tries to uncover the mystery of a few fatal events that involve Mara imagining something that comes true, she realizes she's falling for Noah. On top of that, she's still dealing with the death of her best friend, her boyfriend, and her abrupt move to Florida. Add this together, and you're gunning for a hot mess of intrigue and romance. And yes, it truly is a hot mess.

Cliffhanger as defined by Merriam-Webster:
1. an adventure serial or melodrama; especially: one presented in installments each ending in suspense
2. a contest whose outcome is in doubt up to the very end; broadly : a suspenseful situation

Translation: The death of me a million times over that makes me hate the author with a burning but satiable passion. Michelle Hodkin, you fit into this category. It's a love hate kind of thing. I can't wait to see how it all ties together! The next book is way too far away!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.