Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1) by Tahereh Mafi: review + Dystopians Abound!

A special thanks to Harper Collins who sent me a copy to give my honest review.

Goodreads rating: 4.23
Paperback, 352 pages
Expected publication: November 15th 2011 by Harper Collins USA
ISBN
0062114204 (ISBN13: 9780062114204)
Series
Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days. The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old-girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a world as riveting as The Hunger Games and a superhero story as thrilling as The X-Men. Full of pulse-pounding romance, intoxicating villainy, and high-stakes choices, Shatter Me is a fresh and original dystopian novel—with a paranormal twist—that will leave readers anxiously awaiting its sequel.
  
 5/5

There are honestly no words to describe how much I loved this book. I know, coming from a book blogger that doesn't sound like a good thing considering I received this book specifically for review. But it was really just that amazing and is up there as one of my favorite dystopians. It had been on my wish list for a while, so when I came back from a Michael Grant signing (also a HarperTeen author), well you can imagine my surprise and happiness when I opened the package from the publisher. And the cover is beautiful, so sparkly! Immediately, you're drawn in. And then the first line: I've been locked up for 264 days. By then, you're so gone it doesn't even matter if you have two tests and three papers due the next day. You're going to finish Shatter Me whether you want to or not.

Mafi has a beautiful way of writing. her descriptive imagery at every turn is uncanny and really it's what made this book. The story is wonderful and the plot is nearly flawless, but the language is what did it for me. I think that's why modern retellings of Shakespeare never work because most of the language is cut out. I've heard word that they've already auctioned rights off for this one, and to be honest I hope they don't end up going through with it. It'll lose its potency. And that's a compliment. 

Juliette was a very likeable character. As in all dystopians, the main character is always a little rough around the edges. It's even more difficult for Juliette though because she hasn't had any human interaction for almost a year. And who walks in? A boy. A boy that she remembers distinctly, but doesn't think that he remembers her. How wrong she is. But this isn't your everyday dystopian. Oh no. The reason Juliette is locked up in the first place is because she killed someone just by touching them. When the tagline mentions that it's like Hunger Games and X-Men combined, it couldn't be more accurate. Wait, an accurate tagline? No way, you say? You'll have to read to find out!

And the cover is also very fitting. Juliette actually does end up wearing dresses eventually and her hands are placed behind her back because she's not supposed to touch anyone. And as we all know, I'm a cover whore so I loved it the moment I held it in my hands. I want the rest of the series right now! Get your own two hands on a copy of this one as soon as possible. You won't regret it.


Dystopians Abound!
Recently (or finally I should say) I'm getting into dystopians. This year, it started with Divergent, which is still my favorite of the year. Then I moved on to Delirium by Lauren Oliver, Eve by Anna Carey (which I've already read but the author asked me to wait until October 17th to do my review and an interview) and finally Shatter Me. I'm also currently reading Blood Red Road, so I've gone dystopian crazy. AND I'm writing a story for my fiction class and for some reason it turned out kind of dystopian. Not really surprised. Look for my review of Blood Red Road sometime probably next week.

2 comments:

  1. Someone essentially lend a hand to make seriously posts I might state.
    This is the very first time I frequented your website page
    and to this point? I surprised with the research you made to make this
    actual post extraordinary. Great process!
    Feel free to visit my web-site lorem ipsum dolor sit amet consectetur

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the right web site for everyone who wishes to find out about this topic.
    You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I really will
    need to…HaHa). You certainly put a new spin on
    a topic that has been discussed for ages. Great stuff, just
    great!
    Also visit my web page :: football transfer news now

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.