Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Laini Taylor signing at the Redondo Mysterious Galaxy recap



Yes, you read right. The infamous independent bookstore in SoCal, Mysterious Galaxy, has a new location that opened up literally 13 days ago (October 12th) in Redondo Beach! It's a beautiful store (they had the two book trailers for the book going on in the background) and it still smells new. So kudos to them, and they've already had a bunch of great authors. One of them being Laini Taylor! Laini's book Daughter of Smoke and Bone is truly one of my favorites of this year and she is very sweet.


She talked about where her story came from, but it's really something only Laini herself can understand. She came up with the idea when she was "cheating" on one of her other books--a sci-fi. But she made herself finish the sci-fi that she didn't really like and then went back to the world of Karou and Akiva. She even talked about how some of the elements baffled even her at first! Who was this girl? What's the deal with the wishbone? What does teeth have to do with it? And from this confusion, Daughter of Smoke and Bone was born!


Speaking of a wishbone, Laini gave out some swag! Before she spoke and did a Q & A, she asked who was a book blogger. A few people raised their hands and we got a mask just like the one on the cover, which I'm posing with below:


I'm considering being Karou for Halloween. Now all I need is the blue hair... Everyone received some of the eye tattoos featured in the book as well as a teeny-tiny wishbone necklace, pictured below:


See, the wishbone is so tiny you can't even see it! And I love how she circles her own name with her signature. This was such a great signing and I can't wait to go back to Mysterious Galaxy! This place is so well done, and if you're anywhere in the vicinity, you should definitely check it out. And the people are awesome too and now officially know me by name (I came a bit early; who knew you could OVERestimate traffic in LA). Also, if Laini herself is coming to a town near you, you should definitely go. Even if you haven't read her book, you'll regret not going.

I just came back from a signing with Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, so I should be posting that recap as well as the Maggie Stiefvater one soon!

1 comment:

  1. I loved Daughter of Smoke and Bone...to say I'm jealous of this experience is an understatement! How fun!!!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.