Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Iron Knight (Iron Fey #4) by Julie Kagawa: review

A special thanks to Harlequin Teen and NetGalley for the chance to read this early for an honest review.

Goodreads rating: 4.57
Paperback, 386 pages
Publication: October 25th 2011 by Harlequin
ISBN
0373210361 (ISBN13: 9780373210367)
Series
 
My name—my True Name—is Ashallayn'darkmyr Tallyn.

My fall began, as many stories do, with a girl…


I am the last remaining son of Mab, Queen of the Unseelie Court. And I am dead to her.
  
 
 5/5
 
AMAZING!!! There are seriously no words for how awesome and crazy good The Iron Knight was. The action never seemed to stop and I nearly cried a few times. Ash's journey to earn a soul pulled roughly on my own; Kagawa is a genius. Getting to know Ash, the real Ash, is something you don't want to miss.

To be honest, I missed Megan. I loved hearing it all from Ash’s point of view, and since Megan was in no way involved with Ash searching for his soul I understand that it would be pointless and boring to have it from her perspective. My only complaint is that, despite the fact that the girl seems to think she knows everything about the boy she’s in love with, there are still some mysteries about him. With Ash, it was now all laid out there for us to gawk over. Don’t get me wrong, his insights were long-awaited, but I missed Megan’s voice.

Puck was hilarious as usual, but there was a visible darkness to him in this one that we hadn’t really seen much of before. He had to try too hard to lighten the mood sometimes, and Ash knew just what to say to get him to go all broody. I also liked seeing him with the blast from both their pasts, and I think if it had ended differently, she and Puck could have been happy together. Grimalkin was as mysterious and annoying as always. He was the only character that didn’t change, but I loved the Big Bad Wolf twist. Grimalkin needed someone to fight and bond with.

The journey through the Nevernever was rich with lore and the descriptions were so vivid. Another reason I love Kagawa’s writing. There were some parts at the Training Grounds where I thought could have used more description, but otherwise the ending was perfect. Often in the final book, authors seem to rush it and you end up unsatisfied. Readers want to be eased out of a great series, and though I could have used more of the ending for my own selfish desires, it was a wonderful ending. It was the one I expected, but it did not disappoint. So much heartache made The Iron Knight a must-read.

I was sad that this was the final book in the series. But all good things come to an end eventually. I can’t wait to see what Julie Kagawa pumps out next, which I hear is a companion series with Meghan's little brother!

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked it! I loved this book :) I need to repost my review soon! AH! I need her to write more, I'm so excited to see what she comes up with next :) I heard she's writing a book about Ethan when he's a teen so I'm excited to see how that works out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it too! I can't wait to read her new series with Ethan and she has some dystopian vampire series too, so that should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just loved this one too ! It's a really nice end for thsi series. You're right it was very different to have another point of view, but I think It allows us to really understand him. Great review

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard so many wonderful things about this series. I don't know why I haven't picked it up yet! Maybe now that all 5 books are out I'll go and splurge and start them. That way I won't have to wait to see what'll happen next =)

    Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves
    P.S. Come check out my first giveaway here

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Melliane!

    Kristan, you should definitely start this series. At first it was okay for me (I'm not really into fairies as much) but once I really got into the series, I couldn't stop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book so much and it's nice that you did tooooo! Oh my.. ASH. and PUCK:) and Ethan! weeee~ it was amazing! And I just couldn't stop reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ASSSSHHHH... PUCK. seriously, this book made me doubt my Team Ash, but I'm proud to say I was able to stay with Ash until the end. BTW, the spin-off's title is Lost Prince. I can't wait for it!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.