Tuesday, October 4, 2011

In My Mailbox (9)

Just came back from an awesome Lauren Oliver signing. She is the cutest!! I'll be posting a recap of the event as soon as my schedule allows. In the meanwhile here's my weekly IMM.


In My Mailbox is a meme posted by Kristi over at The Story Siren, where you create a post of the books you either received in the mail, bought at a bookstore, or borrowed from the library. If you'd like to know my thoughts about IMM, check out the link near the top of my blog called In My Mailbox. Simple, right? Anyway, onto the books!


NOTE: If you're unfamiliar with how I do things with my IMM, I basically give a little back story to the books I have pictured. Also, if there are ARC's, I'll give a synopsis and date published.

From Harper Collins:

~Dark Eden by Patrick Carman: This one looks pretty interesting, but I'm actually really excited to see how the final product looks when it's released because there are a lot of maps of the compound missing. I've read the first couple chapters and I'm intrigued.
Expected pub: November 1st.
Synopsis: Fifteen-year-old Will Besting is sent by his doctor to Fort Eden, an institution meant to help patients suffering from crippling phobias. Once there, Will and six other teenagers take turns in mysterious fear chambers and confront their worst nightmares—with the help of the group facilitator, Rainsford, an enigmatic guide. When the patients emerge from the chamber, they feel emboldened by the previous night's experiences. But each person soon discovers strange, unexplained aches and pains. . . . What is really happening to the seven teens trapped in this dark Eden? Patrick Carman's Dark Eden is a provocative exploration of fear, betrayal, memory, and— ultimately—immortality. 
~Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi: I've actually already read this one, and let me tell you it is amazing!! I'm not going to say much else because I'll have a review posted up soon. Just awesome.
Expected pub: November 15th
Synopsis: Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days. The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old-girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a world as riveting as The Hunger Games and a superhero story as thrilling as The X-Men. Full of pulse-pounding romance, intoxicating villainy, and high-stakes choices, Shatter Me is a fresh and original dystopian novel—with a paranormal twist—that will leave readers anxiously awaiting its sequel.
Bought:

~Oh My Gods by Tera Lynn Childs: This is an autographed copy that I found at one of the bookstores I've gone to a couple signings to. I've heard great things about this author and I'm excited to see if she's all she's hyped up to be.


~The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor: I got this signed at the Orange County Children's Book Festival and got to hear him speak a little about the series. I'm really excited to start it now that I know more about it.

~Envy by Gregg Olson: This was attached with a one-day 50% off coupon at Barnes & Noble. The cover is pretty awesome and it sounds really interesting.
Won: 

~Reckless by Cornelia Funke: This book has always intrigued me, and I really liked her book Inkheart. A special thanks to Tiger from All-Consuming Books for hosting the giveaway. I hope to start this soon.

Tune in next week for In My Mailbox (10)! And don't forget to check out the swag giveaway that's going on until the end of October (to which I've already added even more goodies to)!!  

8 comments:

  1. Omgg so jealouss! I want to read Shatter Me and Dark Eden soo bad! Can't wait to see what you think of Oh My Gods, I've been wanting to read that one :) Great stuff! Can't wait to see what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just posted my review of Shatter Me if you want to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. new follower :)

    Wow you got some awesome books this week!! I really want to read Shatter Me!

    check out my in my mailbox!
    http://sarahcatchingbooks.blogspot.com/2011/10/in-my-mailbox-15.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Envy sounds really good I can't wait to get it! Also, Shatter me was great hope you like it!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shatter Me and Envy are both books that I am looking forward to reading. Great IMM.
    Stephanie @ Five Alarm Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another week and more amazing books! Have fun reading all of your new editions! :)

    Come visit my IMM!

    Amanda
    Hippies, Beauty, and Books. Oh My!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shatter Me was amazing! My review of it is up on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shatter Me sounds fabulous. I have Envy too but I still need to read it. New Follower!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Check ou my IMM:
    http://seeitorreadit.blogspot.com/2011/10/in-my-mailbox-2.html

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.