Sunday, October 23, 2011

Dear Bully event at the Barnes & Noble in Santa Monica recap

I'm a little behind on my signing recaps, and technically I should be talking about the Maggie Stiefvater event I went to on Friday first. But while I'm waiting for YouTube to load the couple 5 minute videos that I will NOT post the recap without (believe me, you'll want to wait), I'll post up my recap of the Dear Bully tour stop I attended earlier today!

Let me just start off by saying that there weren't as many people as I thought there would be. I mean, for god's sake, Lauren frickin' Kate was there!! That alone was reason enough for me to go. She was late though, which was pretty funny. Meanwhile, the early bird was Nancy Holder, followed by Amy Koss, Jessica Brody, and Melodye Shore. I loved every single one of these authors and you could tell how much it meant to them that we were there. The proceeds that the authors get from this anthology all go to the charity Stomp Out Bullying (you know, those commercials with Demi Lavato? Yeah those ones), and you could tell how passionate they all were about writing their stories. If there was ever a good reason to buy a book, this is it.


Melodye Shore's story really blew me away, especially when she read it out loud. If you've read the story, you know what I'm talking about. At the very end she got very emotional and even cried a little. I wanted to get up and give her a big hug, but I didn't. She was very sweet though, and I can't believe something like that happened to her.


Lauren Kate's story was interesting because it sparked the idea for her first novel, The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove. Also, she's a lefty, which is awesome because I'm one too. And her book Fallen is one of my favorite fallen angel books EVER! Needless to say, I was excited to meet her.


And she said she loved my shirt and almost thought about wearing hers today! It would have been awesome to be twins all things considered.


Luckily, Jessica Brody recognized me from my Pen Fatale tour stop and so it was great seeing her again. She's so nice and I really liked her song in the anthology. Now we just need the melody to it. Get it, melody... Melodye... no?


Amy Koss (middle) was one of the people (along with Nancy Holder, on the left) who wrote from the bully's perspective, which I thought was very interesting. If you think about it, we were all like that in 3rd grade. Singling certain people out for humiliation. It's sad, but Lord of the Flies is almost nonfiction according to this anthology (my words not theirs). I'm just glad that they were able to compile all these stories and have the money go to a great cause.

Tomorrow I'm off to a signing for the amazing author of Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Laini Taylor!! Hopefully I won't feel the need to kill anyone in traffic this time :-/


Now onto the signature part of the evening! I loved Lauren's little notes me :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.