Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Fateful by Claudia Gray: review

Goodreads rating: 4.08
Hardcover, 328 pages
Published September 13th 2011 by HarperTeen
ISBN
0062006207 (ISBN13: 9780062006202)


Eighteen-year-old maid Tess Davies is determined to escape the wealthy, troubled family she serves. It’s 1912, and Tess has been trapped in the employ of the Lisles for years, amid painful memories and twisted secrets. But now the Lisle family is headed to America, with Tess in tow. Once the ship they’re sailing on—the RMS Titanic—reaches its destination, Tess plans to strike out and create a new life for herself.
Her single-minded focus shatters when she meets Alec, a handsome first-class passenger who captivates her instantly. But Alec has secrets of his own. He’s in a hurry to leave Europe, and whispers aboard the ship say it’s because of the tragic end of his last affair with the French actress who died so gruesomely and so mysteriously. . . .
Soon Tess will learn just how dark Alec’s past truly is. The danger they face is no ordinary enemy: werewolves exist and are stalking him—and now her, too. Her growing love for Alec will put Tess in mortal peril, and fate will do the same before their journey on the Titanic is over.
In Fateful, New York Times bestselling author Claudia Gray delivers paranormal adventure, dark suspense, and alluring romance set against the opulent backdrop of the Titanic’s first—and last—voyage.


5/5


I hate to do this in a review, but I'm going to compare Fateful to Distant Waves by Suzanne Weyn. The only thing these two novels have in common is that they both take place on the RMS Titanic, there's a romance, and it's young adult. Where they're different is that Fateful is so much better. I hate to bash another book, but check out the stats:

Fateful
Goodreads rating: 4.09 (234 reviews, published September 2011)
My rating: 5/5

Distant Waves
Goodreads rating: 3.75 (310 reviews, published April 2009)
My rating: 3/5

So for me, this was a huge step up from Weyn's novel. The differences are vast. The writing style is different, and the story is completely different. I absolutely abhorred the ending of Distant Waves, and loved the ending of Fateful. Distant Waves is too scientific to be paranormal, while Fateful goes out on a whole other paranormal limb! You'll want to pick this one up, if only for the pure fact that Alec sounds totally hot!

Gray has this amazing ability to keep you turning the pages quickly, and once I started Fateful, I couldn't stop. I'm already a sucker for Titanic books, but when you add werewolves and a steamy romance into the mix, how can you say no? I know I couldn't. It might help that I was going to buy the book anyway because I'm attending one of the Dark Days tour stops tomorrow, but already knowing that it was a YA book about the Titanic, I was sunk.

It was non-stop action from the get-go. You barely have a moment to breathe before something crazy happens. A few of the plot twists were slightly predictable, but you almost feel proud of yourself for realizing them. I loved Tess and Alec. Tess has to have a thick skin; she's a maid's servant that wants to leave her employers the moment she reaches America. But the people she does care about, she invests her whole heart into. Alec, on the other hand, is coming to terms with being a werewolf that changes every night and is being hunted to join a secret society of human-killing werewolves called the Brotherhood. A society he would rather die than join. A trip on the Titanic brings the two of them together, and despite class issues and Alec's ailment, they begin to fall for each other. The problem is that one of the nastiest members of the Brotherhood has followed them onto the ship. And he wants Alec to join the society, and would kill Tess for his own sick pleasure. And in all this mayhem, the ship is hit by an iceberg that starts to sink the ship. And not everyone will survive.

Come on, you have to be in love with it now right? I'll warn you right now though that it's not completely historically accurate. The author even says it in her notes at the very end. That had no effect on the way I read it though. Knowing that some of it wasn't real almost made it better. Just go and pick up a copy!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely loved Fateful, it was amazing! I'm glad you liked it too :) I was bawling my eyes out almost the whole time :P It was so good :) The ending was kind of weird though... I didn't really like that part very much.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.