Monday, October 17, 2011

Eve (Eve Trilogy #1) by Anna Carey: review

A special thanks to Harper Teen and NetGalley for giving me the chance to read and review this book.

Goodreads rating: 3.69
Uncorrected e-Proof, 336 pages
Published October 4th 2011 by HarperTeen
ISBN:97800620
Series
 
The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.
 
 
4/5
I was surprised by the low ratings for this one. The synopsis sounds very promising and aren't dystopians the thing now? It's funny because everyone seems to be tired of dystopians, but I feel like I'm just getting started. I think the main thing is that I love world-building, where you can make up your own rules and names of places and people, and Anna Carey does a great job with that. I was sucked in right away and it was none-stop action from there on out.

When I picked up this book (technically I picked my Kindle up but you get the point), I had just seen the movie Contagion. And all I could think throughout this book is that this is what the aftermath of Contagion would be like. Empty houses, people gone insane to stay alive, having to rely on one leader that promised hope, a broken-down system that the main character has no idea is even wrong in the first place until the school recluse spills the truth. Or something like that. From that moment on, Eve has no choice but to be believe in this girl they've all shunned and get out while she still can. Then she sees the graduates; the girls that graduated last year and the year before that and the year before that, who were told they would be moved to another building to work on their craft, are in an unbearable situation that is nothing like they were promised. And on top of that, after Eve escapes, she puts everyone around her in danger, because she is of special interest to the king. I don't really feel the need to spell it out, but it has to do with some sick plan to repopulate the earth.

I loved the interaction between Eve and Arden and the rebellious boy Caleb that saves her life more than once. I love watching all these characters grow together. Caleb and Eve had a sweet love blooming, and I definitely fell in love with Caleb. In a way, when they were all hidden in the cave in Lake Tahoe, it reminded me of the setting in The Host by Stephanie Meyer. Whoever was in charge, was in charge, no if's, and's or but's. Too bad the guy in charge also turned out to be sex-hungry, power-hungry and a complete a** hat! I hope he gets what's coming to him. There could have been a little more characters development, but for how short this story was, I think the characters were developed very well.

One of the issues I have with dystopian is that a few key people always seem to die or get captured. Rightfully so, because otherwise I can't see it being realistic, but still it's hard to imagine, but at the same time, it's one of a billion possible futures...
 
I also met Anna on the Dark Days tour (where she apologized profusely for not getting an interview to me, as if I was doing her a favor for having the interview!) and she is just the sweetest. Speed over to your local bookstore and pick this one up. It's one of my favorites of this year!

The big question now is: what the heck is going to happen in the next one?!?! Have I ever told you how much I hate having to wait for sequels?
 
CHECK OUT MY NEXT POST FOR AN INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, ANNA CAREY!!

3 comments:

  1. I feel the same way! I've just gotten into dystopian and I am obsessed! I just ordered Matched. Glad you liked it, I think the low reviews stem from Eve's personality. She's super hopeless but I like that about her. Anyway, great review~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Matched on my bookshelf so I'll be reading that soon too. I love that about her too! Of course she's hopeless, that's the whole point lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eve looks like a good book, just in time for XMAS!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.