Monday, October 10, 2011

Death of a Bookstore

Now you guys know how much I love covers on actual physical books (above are just a few of the awesome covers, and only of books I own!) and how much I love free books (really, who doesn't?), but often those two don't mix. Most of my free books are digital. Sometimes I win them from fellow bloggers, other times they're sent from the publishers, but mostly they're "bought" for my Amazon Kindle. The main reason I really love my Kindle is because of NetGalley.
I get to read books before they even come out, which is really awesome being a book blogger, and an avid reader and all. I know, I'm not too proud, but the world is changing. I love physical books as much as the next reader because I get to hold it in my hands and flip through the pages and almost feel the hard work put into it. But when they offer FREE books, it's kind of hard to say no. So kudos to Barnes and Noble, libraries, and Independent Bookstores everywhere.
In that way (and many others), I love signings. It forces the reader to buy the actual book. I still pick up my signed Cassie Clare books every once and a while and revel in their awesomeness. Not only that, but it's such a great experience and while the authors are signing your actual books you get to talk with them and have them mess up your name, or sign something sweet or the tagline of their book. Not only that, but then us bloggers get to have giveaways and send out these awesome books SIGNED! It's something I know I've come to love. There something humbling about having an author's signature on their book and getting to talk with them even if it's just for a moment. So, in honor of books staying in business, I've changed up the words to Dylan Thomas' poem Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. 

Though wise [books] at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night. 

Good [books], the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. 

Wild [books] who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night. 

Grave [books], near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

And you, my [books], there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

*Snaps snaps* Thank you, thank you, no applause please. Case in point people, support your authors, their publishers, and most importantly your local bookstores. Digital books are a great invention and there is no doubt that we're in a digital age, but don't let the bookstores die. You may not think so, but we need them as much as they need us. Think about it.

You don't want to know how long this took me... it was precarious. And I just realized how tiny my Kindle is.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I loved your changes to this famous poem!!

    I feel very passionately about REAL books!! I absolutely REFUSE to read ebooks, or buy a Kindle!! (Can't stand the darn thing...)

    Anyway, I would say this:

    "Rage, rage, against the dying of the bookstores!!!" Border's was the first to go. Will any others follow? Gosh, I SURE hope not!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm passionate about real books too, but I just love how I can get free books, and my dad loves it since I read so much and he pays for all my books.

    And that's true about the poem. That would make more sense. Hopefully, that will be the end of bookstores closing!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.