Sunday, October 9, 2011

Becca Fitzpatrick, Moira Young, and Elizabeth Miles signing at Once Upon a Time





This last Thursday I had the greatest time at a signing in Montrose at a little independent bookstore called Once Upon a Time. They will also he hosting Maggie Stiefvater later this month. This signing was great! I love all of Becca's books (and yes even the short story that she says she fought with her editor on writing since she apparently can't write short stories), and I've just scratched the surface of Fury (Elizabeth Miles) and Blood Red Road (Moira Young). 


I loved Becca (who wouldn't love the creator of Patch?) and Moira was a surprise. I think we all have these preconceived notions of dystopian authors, and that (as Moira said herself) they just sit inside all day with an overly concentrated look on their face, slumped over their computer working on their dystopians. Most of the dystopian novels I've read don't have the picture of the author in the little bio in the back, and when I pointed it out to Moira she was appalled. You know, the way UK people get appalled, all cute-like without any realy anger. I also found out that Elizabeth Miles has a day-job of being a journalist and that Becca has the best stories. There was also some crazy lady sitting behind me, going on about all this metaphysical crap, and thank god the authors said to move onto the next question because we would have been there for hours! Book signings; always interesting.

After a nice chat and an awesome Q & A, they brought us outside so that the authors could prepare for the onslaught of signature-happy fans. There they had a raffle for a huge poster of Patch and Nora. To put it in perspective, here are a couple pictures of the small, banner-like ones they were giving to you when you purchased the book:


This side is like the hardback cover.


Umm yeah, you think Patch is sexy there? Well I was one of two winners of the big poster and let me say that whoever this model is, he's the perfect Patch.


I don't really like the model for Nora (somehow I imagined her being... prettier?), but Patch is just... mmmmmm... I told Becca she should sign over the abs so I could always say I was looking at the signature when in reality I was looking at those perfect sculpted abs.


But she didn't listen. Still, this will soon have a special place in my room that I can look at from any angle. All of these authors were so sweet and I hope I get to see them again when they're next books come out! Here's what they're lovely John Hancock's look like:



I bought this one already signed a while back. She had been to the Borders near my house when it first came out, but I didn't really know about it. I'm glad I finally got to get it personalized.



Oh, it is quite happy reading.



Love Moira! She was a pleasant surprise I must tell you. Before being a writer (though that's what she had wanted to be since she was little), she was an actress and an opera singer.

Tomorrow I'll be going to a stop on the Pen Fatale tour with Jessica Brody, Gabrielle Zevin, Allyson Noel, and Mary E. Pearson at Vroman's in Pasadena. Check out my signings page for the details!

7 comments:

  1. that's great that you won the poster!! congrats! thanks for stopping by my blog, i'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. eeeep :) I'm so excited to see them on Monday! Plus Michelle Hodkin ;) Looks like you had a lot of fun. Were there a lot of people there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The poster is so swoon-worthy I can't even get over it... Patch needs to be real... like now lol.

    You'll love them Anna! There were a descent amount of people (at least 20 and it was a small bookstore), so yeah it was a lot of fun. Let me know how Michelle Hodkin is! :D when is that signing again?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's tomorrow!! I'll send you a picture of your newly signed Mara tomorrow night ;) I'll probably put it in the mail on Tuesday! And I have read the Hush Hush series, I'm reading Silence right now, I just didn't own the books so I had to go out and buy them ahahah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, so excited!! I'll put yours in the mail tomorrow. I'm sorry I haven't had like any time before this to send it out, but Monday for sure. I just finished Silence, so amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I AM SO JEALOUS! what an awesome event!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was pretty awesome! If you check out Becca's website she'll be making I think 3 stops in Illinois, if you want to see if you can go to one of them.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.