Saturday, October 1, 2011

Angelfire (Angelfire #1) by Courtney Allison Moulton: review

Goodreads rating: 3.97
Hardcover, 453 pages
Published February 15th 2011 by HarperCollins / Katherine Tegen Books
Series: Angelfire #1
Setting: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan (United States)
Source: Bought; Signed

This 2011 Indie Next Pick debut, the first novel in a trilogy, is achingly romantic, terrifying, and filled with blistering action.

When seventeen-year-old Ellie starts seeing reapers - monstrous creatures who devour humans and send their souls to Hell - she finds herself on the front lines of a supernatural war between archangels and the Fallen and faced with the possible destruction of her soul.

A mysterious boy named Will reveals she is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, the only one capable of wielding swords of angelfire to fight the reapers, and he is an immortal sworn to protect her in battle. Now that Ellie's powers have been awakened, a powerful reaper called Bastian has come forward to challenge her. He has employed a fierce assassin to eliminate her - an assassin who has already killed her once.

While balancing her dwindling social life and reaper-hunting duties, she and Will discover Bastian is searching for a dormant creature believed to be a true soul reaper. Bastian plans to use this weapon to ignite the End of Days and to destroy Ellie's soul, ending her rebirth cycle forever. Now, she must face an army of Bastian's most frightening reapers, prevent the soul reaper from consuming her soul, and uncover the secrets of her past lives - including truths that may be too frightening to remember.
 

Angelfire is a great new take on the whole fallen angel genre. As all YA reader's know, there are at least a couple books a year that involve fallen angels. I was hoping this one would be different, and it definitely was. It was witty, action-packed, and filled with a sweet romance that I couldn't help devouring and then promptly weeping over. Courtney Allison Moulton, what have you done to me?

The first time I read this book was just after I had been to a signing where she made a guest appearance (Dark Days tour). I got to know Courtney a little and she's just so amazing and sweet. And I don't know if she realizes it, but her and Ellie are a lot alike. No, she's not a red-head like Ellie and her skin is so NOT pale (how she gets such a great tan in Michigan I will never know, I have tried). But their personalities are similar in that they're pretty frickin' awesome!

Soon after that (in an event completely unrelated) I started watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'm now very deep into season 3, and reading this book again, I realized that this series is a lot like Buffy. But instead of vampires and stakes, it's demonic reapers and angelfire swords. She kind of has a Watcher (Nathaniel) and Will is a lot like Angel; they both think they're monsters and they're trying to do good by it. They also both know that they shouldn't be with the Preliator/Slayer. But I think that's why this series really works. It's not a rip-off by any means. Everyone who's ever watched Buffy has fallen in love with the show, so it would only make sense that I would fall in love with this book.

Ellie is totally a kick-butt kind of girl even before she comes into her powers. She has friends and is a generally nice person, but she doesn't take crap from anyone, even her friends. And then the mysterious Will comes along and changes everything. She realizes that the world is not what she thought it was, and it turns out that she's actually a very ancient being that kills what are called reapers. Only they don't have cloaks and scythes; they range from big beastly things that are like overgrown bear-dogs to human-like ones with claws and can be very pursuasive. And Ellie has faced them all in her past lives. Not only that, but one of them can consume her soul, so that when she dies this time, she can't ever be reborn.

Sounds fascinating right? Add a building romance that turns beautiful and serious, that makes your heart break and mend itself a thousand times and you've got yourself an amazing YA debut. Angelfire is one of my favorites of this year, and Will and Ellie and one of my favorite YA couples. I can't wait to see more of them and more of Ellie's powers in the next one, Wings of the Wicked.



 

8 comments:

  1. WHOA!! Im so glad you read it!! and even more glad that you loved it!
    I posted WIngs of the WIcked as my last Waiting on Wednesday and 90% of the people who posted in my post told me that they havent read this book! I was shocked!! O_O. SO now to find someone who read it makes me super happy!! Cant wait for the sencond one too XD
    yey!
    take care! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did Wings of the Wicked as one of my WWW too! I'm surprised as well, this book is amazing!! We need to spread the word :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard tons of fantastic things about this book but alas I have not read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you liked it, but I really didn't. I didn't find anything here that seemed at all original. And, for all Ellie's claims to not being an ordinary girl, she still decided to dress up like a tramp for halloween, because that's what the popular kids do. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds great. I love reading about angels and demons. Especially when an author defies the norm and does something different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Review! I read it too and loved it. I was also glad that it was different from all those other angel books that were coming out at the time. I have not meet the author yet but I do follow her blog & would love to meet her one day.

    Lisseth @read-a-holicz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your review :) I think I might rethink putting this on my to read list :D

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.