Sunday, September 18, 2011

Supernaturally (Paranormalcy #2) by Kiersten White: review

Goodreads rating: 3.92
Hardcover, US, 336 pages
Published July 26th 2011 by HarperTeen
ISBN
0061985864 (ISBN13: 9780061985867)
Characters

Evie finally has the normal life she’s always longed for. But she’s shocked to discover that being ordinary can be . . . kind of boring. Just when Evie starts to long for her days at the International Paranormal Containment Agency, she’s given a chance to work for them again. Desperate for a break from all the normalcy, she agrees.
But as one disastrous mission leads to another, Evie starts to wonder if she made the right choice. And when Evie’s faerie ex-boyfriend Reth appears with devastating revelations about her past, she discovers that there’s a battle brewing between the faerie courts that could throw the whole supernatural world into chaos. The prize in question? Evie herself.
So much for normal. 

4/5 


Supernaturally brings you back reeling into Evie's world. But despite the fact that there's a lot going on, it gives you a little too much time to come up for air. Lately in YA, the second book in a trilogy has become a filler. No, not filler scenes, filler NOVELS. And honestly, even though we found out a couple spoilery things about Evie and there was a new mysterious character (Jack) introduced, I can't help thinking of this book in the same way. The second books also seem to be the ones where either the guy decides to ignore the girl and be an arse, or the girl decides to lie to the guy about everything. I hate this standard and plan on breaking it myself!

I loved Supernaturally though. Evie is smart and sassy and kick-butt! Lend is cute and sexy as always, and Arianna, is, well, a brooding vampire. When Evie goes back to the IPCA (I guess you can come back from the dead in the paranormal world, not including vampires), she gets all these random missions that mostly just end up putting her in danger. Not only that, but her soul-sucking power is flaring up and she doesn't have as much control over it as she'd like. And her and Lend, not doing so well. Lend is immortal, but he doesn't know it, and Evie doesn't want to tell him because she thinks she'll lose him. It's sad because it's realistic for a teenage girl, that she would keep so much from him that she knows he wouldn't agree with or that would chase him away. I'm not saying it's right, but it's so true.

I think the only thing that really bothers me about this series is the stupid bleeps! It honestly bothers me to the point where I cringe every time a characters says it.

But I guess I'll have to get over it, because this is an amazing series, and with the way Supernaturally leaves off, I can't wait to read the final book, Endlessly. I'm so curious to see what happens next, and I just know more than a few things are going to be big, and not everyone will come out unscathed.


*SPOILERS*

We find out in this installment that Evie is half fey. Yes, Evie is half of the race she hates more than any paranormal race out there. And the worst thing? Her fey father hadn't even realized she was missing, her mortal mother is nowhere to be found, and Reth (her creepy fey ex) knows her true name. Luckily, since she's not full fey, her true name holds no weight over her will. Oh, AND the Unseelie Queen was the one that ordered her to be made, so that she could be an Empty One and create gates or whatever. I'm so torn between liking the fey (from other series like The Iron Queen and Wicked Lovely) or having a blind hatred for them.

On top of that, the new character Jack turned out to be not only a psychopath (which we already kind of knew), but an angry vengeful psychopath set out to destroy the fey. Everything bad that happened to Evie was Jack's fault. He was the one that got her in the situations to be tempted to take the souls of other paranormals, and left her in the Faerie Paths to die and rot. But apparently she can open doors so she was able to get back to Lend and her apartment. And the two of them make up and everyone's happy... Well, mostly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.