Saturday, September 10, 2011

Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #3) by Maggie Stiefvater: review

Goodreads rating: 4.01
Hardcover, 390 pages
Published July 12th 2011 by Scholastic, Inc.
ISBN
0545259088 (ISBN13: 9780545259088)
Setting
Mercy Falls, Minnesota (United States)
 

The thrilling conclusion to #1 bestselling Shiver trilogy from Maggie Stievater
In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. In Linger, they fought to be together. Now, in Forever, the stakes are even higher than before. Wolves are being hunted. Lives are being threatened. And love is harder and harder to hold on to as death comes closing in.

4/5

Lately, I've been reading sequels of series where I'm - comfortable - with the series. Where I'm excited for the sequel, but I'm not waiting on pins and needles for it. This is one of those. If this were any other writer, I would have been bored to tears. Stiefvater has this way about her, where she makes even the tiniest details interesting. She finds a way to explain things that keeps your attention, even as nothing is really going on that couldn't be easily summarized. So far, this is my favorite werewolf series. Granted, I haven't read many, but I love this author's writing and honestly I'm sad to see the Wolves of Mercy Falls go.

I gave this one four stars because honestly, I didn't think all that much was solved. *POSSIBLE SPOILER: There was a possible antidote found, they have a new home for the wolves that survived, Grace is still a werewolf, and Sam is some half werewolf END* Every book in this series ends with you wanting more, and Forever is no different. It leaves enough loose ends untied that she could easily write a satisfying novella of what happens to Sam and Grace, and Cole and Isabel after the ending of Forever. But there was enough of an ending that I, as a reader, can grudgingly draw my own happy-ending conclusions.

All in all, a mostly satisfying ending to a wonderful series. No one writes quite like Maggie Stiefvater and I can't wait to see what else comes out of that head of hers. Her new novel, Scorpio Races, looks very intriguing.
I'll also be going to a signing of hers. Check out my signings page for the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.