Monday, August 1, 2011

Starcrossed (Starcrossed #1) by Josephine Angelini: review

Goodreads rating: 4.18
Hardcover, 496 pages
Published May 31st 2011 by HarperTeen
ISBN
0062011995 (ISBN13: 9780062011992)
 
How do you defy destiny?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.


4/5
I'm wondering if my expectations are too high after reading Divergent...

The bad: I don't know guys. I liked it. The main characters were pretty well-developed, but the problem is that Helen kind of pissed me off. I didn't like her as much as I wanted to. I also thought there were some parts where I didn't actually care how it ended because it dragged on and on. The dialogue bothered me too. Too many exclamation marks, and it sounded awkward, which really bothered me. Okay, so those were the bad parts.

The good: Mmmm Lucas. I want him. For some reason I really like the guys that will do anything to protect their woman. Even when he supposedly hated her, he couldn't stay away. And their romance was sweet, I wish there had been more of it. The mythology was really cool, and I liked how the Fates followed them around. I feel like there's so much richness on the subject coming up in the installment and I'm excited to see what she does with it. I also really liked Claire. She was such a great friend to Helen and I'm glad she sort of knew all along that Helen was different. I loved her sassy-ness. And Claire and Jason... well you'll have to read to find out. 





*SPOILERS!*
Okay, I have to get this off my chest. I was just thinking about Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series and how I would love to write a book where the main character fell in love with her brother or at least a close relative they never knew about. But Clare's so ingenious that I would feel like I could never live up to the job that she did. And sorry, Mrs. Angelini, but you don't either. No, Lucas, is not her brother, but they're first cousin's and it for some reason bothers the crap out of me that this author tried that. And not only that, but then she told us a couple scenes later that it was all a rouse, that they weren't really related. Ugh, what, no tension?? That annoyed me more than anything else and why I gave this four stars, as well as the bad things I wrote up earlier.

The other thing I wanted to mention was the return of Helen's mother. What bothered me was that her mom was such a bitch. I don't trust her as far as I can throw her, but I feel like she's also too vindictive for YA lit. Okay, maybe not too vindictive, but too violent and disgustingly persuasive. I don't know, I just really want her to go away and never come back. Poor Hector has to be holed up with her.

Don't get me wrong. It was a great debut and I'm excited for the next one! It was a good twist on the popular Greek myths starting to pop up in YA and Independent Reader lit.

5 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this!
    mmmm. sounds like i'd read this just for lucas' character :]
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had to be careful maneuvering the spoilers because this is one that I think I would be interested in reading. Great review and I'm glad someone else has read this so I'm not just going off the review of a single reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great read. I totally agree that Divergent is so good it is hard to read something after and have a true opinion. I love the I hate you but I love you romance. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read this book and I totally love it! Although I must admit Luke and his family made me mad at the beginning :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this yet but REALLY want to. Thanks for being so honest and specific in your review! This way I won't go into it expecting something which it's not :) My friend who read it said it's WONDERFUL and that was it. So it's nice to get a detailed opinion on what's good and bad. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.