Saturday, August 13, 2011

Shift (Shade #2) by Jeri Smith-Ready: review

Goodreads rating: 4.31
Hardcover, 367 pages
Published May 3rd 2011 by Simon Pulse
ISBN
1416994084 (ISBN13: 9781416994084)
series
Aura’s life is anything but easy. Her boyfriend, Logan, died, and his slides between ghost and shade have left her reeling. Aura knows he needs her now more than ever. She loves Logan, but she can’t deny her connection with the totally supportive, totally gorgeous Zachary. And she’s not sure that she wants to. Logan and Zachary will fight to be the one by her side, but Aura needs them both to uncover the mystery of her past—the mystery of the Shift.
As Aura’s search uncovers new truths, she must decide whom to trust with her secrets…and her heart.

In honor of Zachary Moore's graceful loss to Jace Wayland in YA Crush Tourney, I've decided to post my review of Shift by Jeri Smith-Ready. WARNING: I often take on the persona of the novel in my reviews if it was an amazing book, and in this case there's a couple of profanities and suggestive material (*no big ones obviously, I happen to like my reviewing integrity*) but I also didn't want to take away from the... sassyness... of my review.

5/5
Honest-to-God wishing my boyfriend was Scottish right now. I even slept on this review, and it's still true. Zachary is one of my favorite YA guys, also because he's so sweet. This book, though, definitely didn't show him in the best light at times. I can count on one hand how many times I wanted to punch him, but they were still big deals. I can't say much else about Zach without spoiling. Except of course that his accent makes me melt into my shoes.

Logan was annoying as crap. It's made obvious in the cliffhanger in Shade that he comes back all violet and non-Shady again. But it gets worse (see spoilers). Then he wants to start forming a band that only pre-Shifters can see and still wants to be with Aura (dude, it doesn't work, and she likes Zachary, get it through your nonexistent skull!). But Aura can't piss him off because she doesn't want him to go Shade again. The ending of this one ends in nearly the same way as the last one, with just Aura and Logan. I hope he leaves this time...

What an amazing sequel to Shade. I feel like this book is highly underrated, in that no one is reading it. But seriously, this is an awesome series and I cannot wait to see what waits for me in the final installment. 




*SPOILERS*
Wow... Aura's real dad is-was-a ghost... Blew my mind there Jeri! We already knew that ghosts returning from being Shades can have real bodies on the solstices and equinoxes for around 15 minutes because it had happened with Logan in the very beginning when Aura brought him back from Shadetown. So now he has a body...and they're in her room...alone. Don't worry, it wasn't a repeat of whatever weirdness her parents had, but she thinks that the Shift started because of her and Anthony (her father) making love while he had a body. I'm just glad Aura and Logan never got to it. I would not have been okay with that.

Surprising even myself here, I'm going to talk a little about Becca Goldman. Would you believe I had a Becca Goldman at my high school? She was a popular quiet slut though, not a mean boisterous one like this Becca. I still can't believe she dialed Aura while she and Zachary were in a hotel room together. I think I actually cried, because I thought about what it would have been like if it happened to me, and I don't like it. He better be frackin' miserable for that crap. And then when they're trapped in of all places Pittsburgh, Becca drives 6 hours and comes and gets them. I just don't get it... We will never know.

Aura and Dylan... well that was weird. I couldn't believe that they had kissed, and then very nearly had sex after learning from a journal that Logan had started before he died, that Logan knew he was going to die from becoming a rockstar. That was just too weird for me, her being with Dylan. I like Dylan, but not with Aura.

Okay, so how hot was the scene where they're near the river? I think I nearly died from happiness for Aura. At least she loves a guy that can touch her for more than 15 minutes four times a year. And when he left on the plane back to Scotland, he gave her the reservation to that beautiful castle he wants to take her to and the airplane ticket. How can you say no? I certainly couldn't. The man is Scottish for God's sake. I think if I wasn't in love with my boyfriend, I'd have found a boyfriend with an accent (one that wasn't going to leave the country at the end of the year or whatever). If you don't go, Aura, I will. The guy has got to be good with that tongue of his.

Poor Zach. His Dad is dying from cancer (I still think it has something to do with that light refracting thingy) and now his absentee mom is back and English as ever. It's good that they're all together though, and I hope there's something that can be done so that he doesn't die. The DMP need to stop sticking their noses in everything. Kidnapping kids? Seriously. How low can you go?

Ugh, I cannot wait for the next one!! 2012 is way too far away. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.