Tuesday, August 9, 2011

In My Mailbox (1)


This is my first In My Mailbox post!! Now you may be wondering what In My Mailbox is and why should I care? Well, I think Kristi over at The Story Siren wrote a pretty awesome post about it if you'd rather check out her explanation.

Here are my thoughts: 
  • IMM is something fun, where reader's that follow blogs can get a look at what we're reading. Just because I give them some blog time doesn't necessarily mean that I'm going to review them all on the blog, I simply want to give these books their due. I did buy/request them after all, so there must be a reason I wanted them, and I want you to know the kind of books I get and ultimately share on the blog. As a side note, most of the books I feature will be YA lit.
  • IMM has become such a big thing on these book blogs, and who wouldn't want to be a part of it! Start a discussion in the comments, or tell me what you "got in the mail" today. It doesn't necessarily have to be from your physical mailbox (in fact, most of mine won't be), but they deserve to be recognized. I'll discuss each one of the books pictured, mostly why I picked them, and also if I'm considering reviewing them on the blog. Enjoy!

And now, onto the books:


~Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough: Not much of a story to this one. At my local Borders, I've picked it up as an option on several occasions, but finally decided to just dive in this time. I haven't had much luck with witch books (maybe because I haven't read all that many), but hopefully this one will be different.

~Betrayal  by Jillian Shields: I wanted to buy this book sooner, just not in hardcover. The first one, Immortal, was needless to say not my favorite book. The idea was pretty amazing, but the execution was lacking. Looking at the Goodreads rating, this one is doing much better than the first. Let's hope they're right.

~Blood Red Road by Moira Young: A big reason I bought this one is because I'm going to a signing of hers in October (check out my Signings page for details). And there's just so much hype to it, I have to know if it lives up to my expectations. I believe it is also the beginnings of a dystopian trilogy, and we all know how those have been turning up at least one every month. I'll likely be reviewing this one.

~Secrets and Shadows by Shannon Delaney: This is another one I've picked up and put down. I bought the first one when the original slew of Borders were closing and it's still sitting in my shelf. I also just realized that this pile has two books on werewolves. Believe me, that's total coincidence...

~Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs: Let me just start by saying there are not enough mermaid books out there. I've made it a personal goal of mine to write a mermaid novel before I kick the bucket. Not much can top Disney's The Little Mermaid, but I'd like to see this book give the classic a run for it's money.

~Moonglass by Jessi Kirby: The first reason I bought this, admittedly, is because the author will be at the O.C. Children's Book Festival, which I will be attending in October (check out my Signings page for details). I've also heard it's a great summer read. I'm not much for shorter books, but summer reads should be short and sweet. I'll likely be reviewing this one.

~Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes: This was a tough decision for me. I've picked this one up to buy a time or two, but I just couldn't do it. Why? Because the main character's first name is my main character's first name... I know, I know. And I didn't even realize it until I read the back of the cover about a month ago, and I started my manuscript last winter. I want to review this, but I likely won't read it until I'm done with my own series. The whole thing just throws me off.

~Four Great Comedies (Shakespeare): Would you believe I don't have any of these plays in my possession. Believe me, I'm disappointed in myself. And it's hard to say no to 25% off of $7.95. In this one is The Taming of the Shrew, A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Twelfth Night, and The Tempest.

Tune in next time for In My Mailbox (2)! If I haven't gotten anything in the mail or from a bookstore by then, I'll feature some of the books I bought on my trip to Australia! Some of the covers are really different, and I actually like a couple of the Aussie ones better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.