Sunday, August 14, 2011

Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick: review

Goodreads rating: 4.02
Hardcover, 391 pages
Published October 13th 2009 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
ISBN
1416989412 (ISBN13: 9781416989417)
URL
Setting
Coldwater, Maine (United States)
Literary awards
For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along.
With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.
For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

 
5/5
 I LOVED this novel! But I was honestly putting off reading it. I bought at Borders with the mentality of 'well there aren't many good/decent books I haven't read so why not?' When I went to buy it, the cashier said that the author had come by earlier in the week and had signed books and they had some left over. It wasn't any extra money so I got it and am really glad I did! This is one of the best novels I've read in a long time. 

As I said I was putting off reading this one, but only because I'd been reading a long line of YA novels that just didn't meet my standards in one way or another. When I started to read Hush, Hush, I was expecting the same result. I mean the name alone threw me off a little. Still, I started to read it and it sounded a tiny bit like Twilight in the beginning (with the biology class and new kid blah blah blah) but then I knew it was about angels and not vampires so that put that thought to rest. 


I love Nora's character. So many girls in YA books just automatically fall head-over-heels for the dangerous guy without second thoughts about repercussions. I felt Nora's reactions to her feelings for Patch and his feelings for her were completely natural and more than likely how I would act. 


Patch is certainly the comic relief, but also an amazing love interest. You want him and Nora to be together the whole time no matter what he does. And he didn't act his normal self right away with her. He made it seem like he didn't like her and then it turns out that he actually loves her and I really love when it starts that way. It was certainly a satisfying end of the novel and the beginning of their relationship. 


Sometimes it's hard to explain what exactly makes a great novel. Flow and language are certainly a big part that most authors tend to forget about sometimes. But it's also about the characters, and authors also seem to forget that their readers don't know all the things that they do and when that happens it just ruins it for the reader. In this novel the characters were well developed and the writing was truly amazing. It's a great addition to the fallen angel part of the YA genre.


Silence, the third book in this series, will be out October 6th. Check out my Signings page for details on details on the signing I'm going to for her and two other new YA authors.

8 comments:

  1. This was my first book crush....love Patch and could not wait till the next one came out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, it's intriguing that Patch is a comedic character rather than being the cookie cutter strong, silent type ala Edward. I love variety in my characters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I respected Nora more for not falling head over heels for Patch at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was my first "fallen angel" type book. I really enjoyed it, but I need to hurry up and read Silence now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg this book couldnt be any better! loved ittt

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book! I read a lot of books that have angels in them, but I can honestly say that Patch is my favorite! Nora's great too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved all of the Hush Hush books. Reading these made me interested in all of the angel books, especially fallen angels!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought all three books in the series for my niece for Christmas, and she loved them so much she is sending them back to me to read. Thanks for the review, I can't wait for the package to arrive so I can start reading them. I am glad that the characters are well-developed, because that is more important to me in a book than the story line.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.