Saturday, August 27, 2011

Entice (Need #3) by Carrie Jones: review

Goodreads rating: 3.95
Paperback, 264 pages
Published January 3rd 2011 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published December 14th 2010)
ISBN
1408810441 (ISBN13: 9781408810446)
Series
Characters

Zara and Nick are soul mates, meant to be together forever.
But that's not quite how things have worked out.

For starters, well, Nick is dead.
Supposedly, he's been taken to a mythic place for warriors known as Valhalla, so Zara and her friends might be able to get him back. But it's taking time, and meanwhile a group of evil pixies is devastating Bedford, with more teens going missing every day. An all-out war seems imminent, and the good guys need all the warriors they can find. But how to get to Valhalla?

And even if Zara and her friends discover the way, there's that other small problem: Zara's been pixie kissed. When she finds Nick, will he even want to go with her? Especially since she hasn't just turned...she's Astley's queen.


4/5

This is one of those series you can be very comfortable with, but has it's heart-wrenching moments, and this book was amazing! The only reason I gave it 4 stars is because the dialogue and, well, nearly all the writing didn't flow quite right. And it's because of the lack of contractions (the grammar kind, not the pregnant kind). I think I literally cringed every time a teenager talked like a-a schmuck! I just couldn't get over it. I understand with Astley because that's the way he is, but no one normal talks that way, and especially not teenagers. Shortening words are kind of our thing.

But I loved the story. It was everything I was hoping for and more. I'm glad Zara and Astley got to know each other more. He really is a nice guy and I can understand why she starts to like him more than just as her king (which is weird, getting used to Zara being a pixie queen; weird for her too apparently). I missed Nick in this one. He really is Zara's soulmate and him not being there for her and her doing anything and everything to get him (even sacrficing people she loved) and being in so much pain made ME in pain. I can't imagine what that's like. To know that your soul mate is dead and that there's a chance you could bring him back, but everyone is thwarting your attempts. Everyone except your friends, who keep sacrificing themselves to get Nick and make you happy again.

With all the attacks piling up in Bedford, I can't wait to see where the next book is going to take us. One thing for sure, Zara is going to have to choose between Astley and Nick. And it's not going to be easy. Next year is way too far away!


*SPOILERS*
I can't believe how many people died and how many people were total fakes in this one. And the one person I was expecting to betray her actually gave his life for her; him being her father (her real father obviously). I thought that part was a little random, him just suddenly appearing and then being eaten by a big huge dog, but whatever. And Mrs. Nix! How could she die? I wonder if she ended up going to Valhalla or if she went somewhere else, but I can't believe she died because of someone else giving them false information on how to get Nick back. That someone being Astley's mother.

We barely get to meet Astley's mom before we learn that she is the big traitor, the one everyone's apparently working for (and is against Astley and Zara). She gives pixies a bad name. Speaking of horrible parents, I wish Zara had killed Frank at Odin's palace. I know that would have made her more pixie than she wanted to be, but really he's scum and the world of humans and pixies would have been better without him. I feel a faceoff coming from him soon too.

My happiness that Zara saved Nick is too wonderful for words. Like I said, I missed him. It was nice getting to know Astley a little better (his and Zara's kiss totally random though), but Nick is the one I want to hear about. When he was so distant with her at first because he saw that she had been changed broke my heart right along with Zara's. I didn't think that he didn't love her anymore, but his cold shoulder was freezing. I nearly cried. Ok, maybe I did a little, but you get my point. I'm just gald he's back. I wonder how much he remembers since they kind of erased his memory. Does he even remember dying?

I cannot wait for the next book!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.