Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies: review

Goodreads rating: 4.01
Hardcover, 320 pages
Expected publication: September 27th 2011 by HarperTeen
ISBN
0061990655 (ISBN13: 9780061990656)
Skye never questioned the story of her life. Her Aunt Jo adopted her after the death of her parents when she was just a child, and together they flip through memories the way some people flip through photo albums.

She never questioned if the stories were true.

Until the night of her 17th birthday, when the arrival of two strangers intrudes on her cozy life. Polar opposites, like fire and ice, Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair, cold, and aloof. Skye has no idea what they want—only that their presence coincides with the beginning of some shockingly strange events. Events that Skye, if she dares to think it, might be responsible for causing.

High up in the mountains of Boulder, Colorado, Skye finds herself caught in the middle of an ancient battle, one that began untold millennia ago. Torn between unpredictable Asher, whom she loves, and the infuriating Devin, who she can’t stay away from, her fate is murky as a starless night. And as the secrets of her true identity are revealed, Skye realizes that her destiny may reside in the Heavens—or somewhere darker. 

5/5 

First off, a special thanks to the people at HarperTeen and netGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.

I recently finished this upcoming YA novel, and I wasn't sure what to expect going in. A Beautiful Dark has been highly anticipated for a while now and I couldn't wait to get my hands on a copy and see what all the fuss was about. The synopsis doesn't tell you much of what it's really about at its core, for mystery's sake. And I have to admit I really enjoyed it. The characters were believable and most of them likeable (or unlikeable, depending on the character's role), and there was nothing in the plot that I thought was off or unnecessary. I must admit, Asher is my pick as of now, and it's not just because of what happened at the end, although Devin had his moments too. All in all, a wonderful read that kept me turning the digital pages. You don't want to miss this one.

The setting of this novel was my kind of place. I love snow and winter time, so watching everything play out in a winter wonderland made it that much better. I liked Skye a lot, and I loved her friendship with Cassie and Dan, and even Ian. I kind of wished that something would have happened with her and Ian. He's such a nice guy and so not subtle in saying how he feels about her, but alas she was to fall for another. Make that two others. Asher and Devin were literally two sides of the same coin, yet their personalities were so different. I enjoyed how one minute, you were rooting for Ash, and the next you wanted Devin. As I said before, Asher is my current pick. He seems more right for her, personality-wise. I can't wait to see what happens next with this love triangle. And with Skye's abilities. I must say no more!

The next part has to get spoilery, so sorry guys. It's really better if you haven't read it not to know. Get your hands on a copy of A Beautiful Dark as soon as you get the chance; you won't regret it!


*SPOILERS*

I guess I wasn't expecting this all to be about angels. I wrote in my little mini-review that angels are way overused in YA, but I'll have to see the direction this series is going. Admittedly, I've always wanted to write a fallen angels book, and now I have, and like I said, I have no idea what kind of direction this series is going in. Besides, Davies had a lot of great ideas and some new elements to add.

The ending left me wanting, without a doubt. For the life of me I can't remember her name, but Devin's fated/girlfriend was just horrible. I knew she was bad news. What I wonder the most is what's going through Devin's head during the whole freakin' book! Especially at the end, where he stabbed her. I cannot wait for his explanation as to why he did that.

I'm really curious who she'll pick. They're both angels, but from totally different sides of the track. Devin is of the angels that didn't fall during the Rebellion, while Asher is a total Rebel. Devin can heal with a single touch, and Asher can warp the elements. Why I love Asher? Because he's always been there, watching over her, protecting her. Devin wasn't. And then, Ash finally gets to kiss her. I love those moments - truly. The kissing scenes weren't too steamy, but they were nice. I'm expecting much more in the sequel. I don't even want to think how long it's going to take until the next one comes out...

9 comments:

  1. Oh man! I'm adding it to my mile long TBR list. It sounds awesome! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 out of 5 means I'll definitely check it out. Great post and happy Saturday! I hope you’re having an awesome weekend!

    Also, I’m a new follower—wonderful blog! Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG This cover is amazing. You have peaked my interest in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, this is at the top of my tbr pile, and I hope to get to it at the beginning of March. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED this book! The ending really does leave you wanting more. I'm eagerly anticipating book 2!! Oh, I'm definitely team Asher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! This book has been on my TBR list for a long time, but I think I might have to bump it up to the top! Sounds like a keeper - and I'm excited that the second one is coming out soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooomgg this book is soo different from the others out there!! i loveee it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for warning about the spoilers. I'm glad that the characters are believable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a story about a heroine torn who's torn b/t light and dark, bad and good. This will be a definite read.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.