Monday, August 1, 2011

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins: review

Goodreads rating: 4.44
Hardcover, 372 pages
Published December 2nd 2010 by Dutton
ISBN
0525423273 (ISBN13: 9780525423270)

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.
As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers- have long awaited?
 
5/5
Holy cramolies batman!! I've only heard amazing things about this book and let me say it doesn't disappoint.

Anna and the French Kiss is one of those books that you can read over and over again and it'll never get old. There are just those moments, those moments of perfection, where you know you want to be living them. You think, 'Forget Anna, what about me!' And then you realize it's just a book. That's how I felt about this one.

Why didn't I read this sooner? That's a really good question. I didn't realize what the big deal was and honestly I've been more into the paranormal romance rather than real-life romance. But this book is definitely worth reading, and I loved it because it wasn't paranormal. We all need a break from the paranormal sometimes to feel normal, because this could happen and honestly I don't think real vampires are ever going to happen no matter how many time you watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer! Okay, that was more convincing myself than you guys.

Learning about the places in Paris was refreshing. I'm glad the author took the time to research it all, because what is Paris without all it's noteworthy sites and Anna-theaters? It was interesting watching a person so interested in movies. She loved movies like I love books. Each one is cherished, especially the olden goodies.

Oy am I sucker for British boys. Why Stephanie Perkins? Now I want my boyfriend to have an accent and he does a horrible impersonation of a Brit! But in all seriousness, Etienne St. Clair is my perfect guy. I may be ensnared by his beautiful accent, but his words at the end were just... sigh... Ahem, anyway, all the characters were very well-developed, which is something I always hope for in YA lit. Often, authors somehow forget that, even though it's the most important.

Needless to say, I wish this had a sequel with more St. Clair, but since that's not possible, I'll settle for Lola and the Boy Next Door, which comes out too long from now (September 29th). I get the feeling she won't disappoint. I also got to meet Stephanie Perkins and she is so sweet. She met her husband at 17 (love at first e-mail she said; they met online), like I met my boyfriend at 17. We're practically sisters!








*SPOILERS*

The name Toph reminded me of that actor Topher Grace, whose real first name is Christopher. Both are stupid in my opinion, and Toph's name really showed what kind of person he was. A horrible, annoying, self-righteous person. I just can't believe Anna's ex, Mike, was right about him. But Bridgette? Why Bridge, why? You should have told your best friend. I literally cried at 1:30 in the morning at that part where she finds out Toph and Bridgette have been seeing each other without telling Anna. That's just low. I almost want to say that they deserve each other, but I know Bridgette just didn't want to hurt Anna. I'm glad they made up. Toph can go %#@*$&%^%*. Yeah I said it.

Oh Etienne. Marry me... Okay not really, but if you were real, you'd be breaking hearts around the globe like nothing. If only any guy was that true with his feelings about a girl like Etienne was at the end with Anna. *Tear* why can't these boys be real?! I can't wait to see what swoon-worthy she makes us wish we had in the next one.

8 comments:

  1. I was so shocked to find out about Bridgette, too!
    She should have known better, 'cause Toph's a jerk who doesn't care about feelings, we know that, BUT BRIDGE?!?! Anna wa practically her sister! T_T

    But whatever, if Anna moved on then I should too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I felt so betrayed lol I know we have to move on :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. ANNA was amazing!! Toph and Bridgette broke my heart, but it's okay, 'cause Anna has St. Clair now (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really want to read this!! I hear great things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I read this book and it was AMAZING

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really agree on you with the Brits and how we need books like this because we need to take a break from all the YA paranormal/dystopian/apocalyptic etc genre. It IS refreshing, plus, because of Anna and Ms. Perkins, I really want to go to Paris! Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been curious about this one. I'll definitely have to grab a copy now. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't usually like this type of book: contemporary, romance-ish. But this book was extra special. I listened to it on audio and thought it was fabulous. I fell in love with St. Clair along with Anna. What a fun read. You reviewed it just perfectly, too. I was scared off from this one because of all the hype surrounding it, when I finally decided to read it I was kicking myself I didn't pick it up sooner. Did you read Lola? If so, was it as good as Anna?

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.