Sunday, July 31, 2011

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1) by Cassandra Clare: review

Goodreads rating: 4.25
Hardcover, 476 pages
Published August 31st 2010 by Margaret K. McElderry
ISBN
1416975861 (ISBN13: 9781416975861)
Setting
London, England, 1878 (United Kingdom)

Magic is dangerous--but love is more dangerous still.

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

5/5
Oh my goodness... SO AMAZING!! I was apprehensive about this book, totally unsure of what to expect. But it was absolutely brilliant! It was so different than the City of Bones series, but at the same time there were so many things that were the same and so familiar. I cannot wait for the second book to come out, and the third...

Cassandra Clare has a way of making me jealous. Her writing style is so great and I wish I had the talent she did. Maybe in time, I'll be half as good as her. And I can only imagine how much time it took for her to research London during this time period, but it was totally worth it because the streaming of facts was seamless, as if she had actually lived during that age. 


Reading this book made me realize how much I miss reading new work of hers. I can read the Mortal Instruments over and over, but it's never the same as reading the twists and turns and surprises for the first time. This satified a craving that I didn't even know I had! 




I get the feeling this is going to be a great series, up there with the City of Bones trilogy. I'm very satisfied with how different this one was from the other series and I'm excited to see where it's going and when my questions are finally answered. I seriously can't wait until the next one comes out... December is still so far away!


*SPOILERS*
One thing I really liked about this one that was completely different from the sequel series is the romance. This time it's more of a classic love triangle (at least so far) with no doubts about whether Jem or Will is her brother. A relief to say the least. But I was glad that nothing was really solved involving the love triangle. So many books nowadays always solve that part of novel while leaving everything else open for debate. But Clare always leaves that as a mystery until the last possible chance, meaning the end of a trilogy. I can't wait to see who Tessa picks, although I must say I'm not sure if I'm attracted to Jem as much as I am to Will. Tessa constantly talks about Will's beauty, but not so much with Jem. Although Jem is obviously more outwardly kind, there's something about Will that tells me deep down he's a good guy, maybe even the right one for Tessa who he obviously cares for no matter how much of an ass he is to her.

Poor Jem... Addicted to what's slowly killing him. I'm glad that wasn't kept a mystery for long, because that would have bothered me forever. And I'm glad that he and Will are so close, although it seems strange that Will can care that much for anyone. I guess both boys are at least a little bit of a mystery.
 

Nate! What the heck?! You would sell out your own sister? (loud string of profanities flying out of my mouth). I literally gasped out loud and said, "Oh no!" with my mouth hanging wide open in horror. I was so NOT expecting that! And after all that searching for him and caring for him, he kept up his charade as inside traitor; the worst kind. And I had an inkling that Mortmain was some sort of traitor, especially when he gave them that tip, but I had no idea he was the Magister! A mundane? That's just ridiculous! And he actually created Tessa... kind of creepy if you ask me. But I loved Tessa's plan at the end to pretend to stab herself to death by turning into a woman that she had already Changed into before and who's blood had spilled from a gunshot wound. Quick on her feet that one is.


Needless to say, I cannot wait to see what happens next!

11 comments:

  1. These books are a gem and anyone that hasn't read should go get them today! You will love them. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to like this series better than the first. It's a lot like the Mortal Instruments books, BUT with steampunk awesome. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this series more than The Mortal Instruments because of the Steampunk awesomeness. Well, that and I am in love with Will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again - another awesome book sitting on my shelf! I really need to get with it! These have gotten rave reviews - I can't wait to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i looved tessa annd supernatural stories!! i highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still haven't read any of Cassandra Clare's works, even though they always get such rave reviews, just like yours! After reading this review I am moving them up on my TBR pile. Like maybe the next book I read after I finish Soul Screamers. I love finding great books, and know I'm missing out by not starting this or her mortal instruments series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to take your word for it, and give the book a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love this book! It's really something else! Although I have not read the Mortal Instruments YET, I've heard people saying that the Infernal Devices was nicer than TMI. Well, I'll just have my answer in a few weeks time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this book! Almost as great as her TMI series. I also love that it has steampunk in it. I still need to read the next one, Clockwork Prince.
    Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree with you on everything you've said. I really like this series. Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG I am so jealous you got to read this book (I was careful not to read the spoiler). I have hear such great this about this book that I am just dying to read :) I am hoping to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.